I also had an SX 100 and what a thrill it was to hear Sputnik.....
vy 73,
Nick W9UM

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Warren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <dx-chat@njdxa.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 2:48 PM
Subject: [DX-CHAT] Re: Real DX

John AE5B wrote:

Fifty years ago this week, a fourteen year old shortwave listener tuned his ancient Hallicrafters S40B to 20.005 Megacycles and was able to hear a weak,
scratchy beeb-beeb-bee from Sputnik I.

What is DX? To a 14 year old kid that was REAL DX.

To those of you that have been around awhile...hasn't it been fun?

Indeed it has.

At the same time, a brand new immigrant, living in the United States for three weeks, did the same thing with a Hallicrafters SX-100, on which he had spent virtually all his first paycheck. About a week earlier he had hand carried all 45 lbs of it from downtown Boston on the MTA to Everett, and then to his attic apartment in Malden, MA.

But I'll never forget my XYL, and our landlord and landlady sitting there with me listening to those beeps.

73, John, NT5C.