While I agree with the observations, amateurs cannot expect these government
agencies to solve our problems. They do not have the money, personnel, or
interest to soend on something so trivial in the grand scheme of things {not
trivial to us, but to them}.
What can we do? Well, I can't help but notice that the Official Observer post
for the Maritimes is vacant, and has been for as long as I can remember. Also
many other areas of Canada as well. One reason may be that there are way less
problems in Canada than the US in general. Also, I'm not sure what kind of
promotion RAC gives the program, or how well it supports its volunteers. It
does have a different slant from the US program, relying almost excusively on
positive reinforcement, and not encouraging advisory notices at all. But that
is somewhat off subject, as the stations in question do not id, hence cannot
respond to any type of voluntary compliance efforts.
That said, I can say the FCC can and will enforce regualtions in the US. But,
and its a big but, the amateur community must supply foolproof and lawsuit
proof evidence before they will act. The burden is on us. If we can provide
reliable evidence usable in court and reviewed by the legal department of the
ARRL first, they will act. When you see the enforcement letters which reference
evidence they have regarding violations it is often the result of many hours of
evidence gathering on the part of Official Observers around the country.
The type of interference described is virtually immpossible to refer to the
FCC, unless perhaps an OO lives next door to a perpetrator. It is of very short
duration, unidentified, and maybe not repeated until the next big DXpedition
{we know it has to be fellow DXers}. To expect the FCC to send out a van to
track down such interference would be ridiculous.
So, what is the solution? I don't know, do you? I can't explain why things have
gotten so much worse lately, unless the general downturn in society in general.
many people have no regard for anyone but themselves. There is no quick fix for
that. Perhaps better training early would help, but then most serious problems
originate with htose holding the highest class licenses, who have been licensed
for many years, and perhaps passeda 20 WPM code test. These jammers also would
seem to have built up a respectable station if they can cause that much havock.
They are not the newbies with a vertical and 100 watts.
I guess the only solution is to ignore if you can and steal their pleasure. If
you can't, then do what you have to to make contacts somewhere. Swift and sure
justice might cause some to mend their ways. Then again, I have heard examples
where operators knew they were being monitored and evidence gathered and they
keep right on, even after FCC station inspections, warning letters, etc. There
is a certain segment that just have emotional problems, ego problems, or
whatever, and refuse to become a part of polite society.
Any ideas of combating the problem are encouraged.
73,
Duane, WV2B {VA1ZZZ}
www.sabledx.com

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it."-
Ralph Waldo Emerson