After being bitten by the DX bug as a novice and spending a year or so working my way to General class, I was spending a lot of time on 10 & 15 meters looking for new ones with my 60 watts and homemade 2 element beam-bamboo poles wrapped in tin foil. One day someone called me and I had a hard time getting the call straight, it started with a 9! It was 9S4CM in Saarland. I didn't know where it was but I knew it had to be good. I found out later that it was 5 days after 9S was deleted. It was good anyway. Card came soon after. Ahhh-1957! What memories.
Bill W5EC

You might want to check back 50 years ago you may have worked a good one without knowing it.