That's correct, Ron. You complain about it to your division director,
who will speak on your behalf.

But there's nothing wrong with discussing it here, IMO. Maybe they DO
read things here... I work in web technology for a living, and you
know what? Sometimes I do go searching the web for things that people
are complaining about our sites. Sometimes I even get requests from
others working with me, where people are complaining in various other
places about little things. Social sites such as Twitter and Facebook
are especially useful for this. It's not the preferred method but
sometimes it gathers the right attention, and I think people speak
more freely this way instead of when the complain directly to you.

As for hardware fixing the problem, based on my past experience, I
don't think it will make much difference unless they were running 10
year old hardware, or someone's old recycled PC. I literally shook my
head when they said they thought that replacing spinning iron with
solid state drives would help significantly. I personally think that's
not going to work. But I could be wrong, so let's hope it works.

But from other places I gather that they are doing something on the
software front as well, so we'll see what they do.

73
Ryan, N2RJ

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3...@verizon.net> wrote:

> No Ryan, the League is not a dictatorship.
>
> To answer more generically, and not specifically to you (or just you):
>
> However:  If you want change, and are not happy with the current situation
> with the Logbook server... kvetching about it on this reflector will not
> accomplish anything.  And I think that was, in a roundabout way, Charlie's
> point.
>
> Not to pick on any one individual, but between the various DX & contest
> related email reflectors I'm on, and the various web site forums I
> participate in (I still owe you a drink at the bar), there do seem to be a
> handful of people who are constantly nitpicking at every little detail.
> Again:  I'm not saying that they're wrong to do so (nor am I saying that
> they're right to do so, mind you).  I AM saying that they are kvetching in
> the wrong forum.  They've made their point, and now it becomes piling on.
>
> As I've said before, here and elsewhere:  If you don't like the situation,
> don't post about it on a forum, or send an email to a reflector.  WRITE YOUR
> DIVISION DIRECTOR and tell HIM (or HER).  Write the ARRL President and VP's.
> THEY are the Board of Directors.  THEY set policy.  Not the HQ staff (at
> least on paper).  And the policy they set is supposed to be based on what
> WE, the membership, tell them.
>
> And I think the recent revelation of new hardware being ordered, with
> delivery & installation expected in a few weeks, means that they've heard
> us.  But that doesn't mean we should stop -- just that we need to voice our
> opinions in the right way & to the right people.
>
> But: if we don't tell them... nothing will change.
>
> 73, ron w3wn
>

> On 12/14/12, Ryan Jairam wrote:
>

> Has the league become a dictatorship now?
>
> Last I checked I voted in elections a month ago... We aren't just
> customers of ARRL, we ARE ARRL and if we don't like how things are
> going, we have a right to demand change.
>
> 73
> Ryan, N2RJ
>
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Charlie Wooten NF4A <n...@knology.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> I wish you guys would quitcherbitchin about LOTW.....give em a chance to
>> fix
>> the problem.....don't sit there and criticize something that is allowing
>> you
>> to get DXCC confirmations in lightning speed compared to 10 years
>> ago....take off your "computer expert" hat and let the league's staff deal
>> with the problem......
>>
>> NF4A

>> or
>>
>> subscribe dx-chat