I think some of the griping is legitimate.  A straight pileup allows the
loudest and/or the most skillful ops through.  By the numbers COULD allow
more DXers to get thru a huge pileup, but only if it is done well and
correctly.

I would probably have Malpelo Island in the log had he not been operating by
numbers, the first time I heard him on 20m.  He never got back around to
3's, but he was booming in, and with the number of people he was working in
each district, I would have had plenty of time.  I would have much preferred
a "regular" pileup that night.

Couple of nights later, T5W was operating 20 SSB by numbers.  He hit 3's, I
had no problem (100W + A3S @ 30ft)  No gripe there.  My biggest problem with
operating by numbers is the inconsistency in how it's done.  I was pretty
frustrated after I sat by the radio for an hour just listening and waiting
for 3's to come around for the /0M and he just quit after 0's.  If I had
know he was going to QRT, I would have spent the time looking for more DX.

I agree with the guys and gals that contend that by the numbers should not
necessarily be done in numerical order.  On the other hand, I can't agree
with the people who say to work proportional numbers to the size of the call
district, unless the DX is ONLY calling the U.S.A.

The fact of the matter is, the 4th call district may be the largest in the
U.S., but it's not other places.  Just take this area of the world.  Let's
see.  VE4... I think there are a lot more VE7's VE3's and VE2's than there
are VE4's.  How about an XE4?  I've never even heard one.  V34?  no.  6Y4?
TG4?  OX4?  Not too common.  Yes, the few I've mentioned are a smaller
fraction of the ham community than the W4's, but we need to let the DX work
the DX sometimes.

I apologize for picking on the 4's.  I don't want to seem like I'm singling
out the 4's or attacking the guy who mentioned the 4's before... just an
example.

I personally think that by the numbers tends to be unfair and frustrate
people.  You get too many people getting hot under the collar waiting a
chance to even TRY to call.  You get people in Pennsylvania signing N3xxx/7.
  That's no good.

By the numbers should be used sparingly and with thought but sometimes it's
just the default way the DX operates.  I try to deal with it as best as I
can but I'd rather have a straight pile most of the time.

73,
Dan
N3UMH