Rick thank you so much for writing a an "add comment" program
just for me!

It's ready to go fot the next contest.

Some comments on this whole issue.

I just started to play with group name and for the first time ever
managed to crash DX4Win.  Also it seems that the little QSO's for this call
window has a place for "Groupname" but from reading the documentation
it seems that what displays there is the group number, not the name, unless
you play with the right mouse button.  Really I want to see at a glance
what the contest or other activity was which is why I like having that in
the Notes field.

The other comment is I have been in the habit of importing a TRLog log
directly into a new Win4Lin file name instead of converting the file to ADIF
first.
I do this to massage the new file - especially to add QSL managers if they
exist.
Onr problem with ADIF'ing this file for import into the main log is ADIF will
not handle
QSL managers - a real difficiency IMO.

I guess it would be possible to first convert TRLog into ADIF, add the comment
with
your program, then import into a new DX4Win for massage.  This works only
because TRLog _at present_ has no provision for QSL managers.  You can see why
I'm
a little of the ADIF step.

My shack is well separated from the house where I do qsling etc.  So I am in
the habit
of making frequent ADIF files for the last few days, then importing into the
house log file
over the network.  This works ok but imagine my surprise a month or so ago when
I suddenly
realized that when I heard the DX say "QSL via" and then entered this info into
the QSL manager
it was effectively lost in the ADIF process!  Now I make sure to put the stated
QSL manager
into the Notes field.

Again thanks much Rick for easing the pain.
Paul I _still_ would very much like to see a way to "mass add" comments.

Larry Alkoff N2LA

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 07:16:32 -0800, Rick Commo wrote:

>> ADIFComment.exe is a program that will add a COMMENT field to all the QSOs
>> in an ADIF file destined to be imported into DX4Win.  In my case this
>> would be from WriteLog.
>>
>> It is a quick and dirty file that I wrote in an hour after reading the
>> thread in this reflector where the poster lamented having to post a string
>> containing the name of the contest into "Notes for this QSO" field of a
>> LOT of QSOs.  The COMMENT field in an ADIF file goes into the "Notes for
>> this QSO" field in DX4Win.
>>
>> A couple of replies pointed out that he could import a contest as a group,
>> but I felt that marking them made sense too.  I KNOW that if did it by
>> putting a contest in as a group that I would certainly lose the piece of
>> paper that had the map of which group was what contest!  So I wrote this
>> program.  If you are interested in it then point your browser at URL:
>> ftp://k7log.no-ip.org/ADIFComment.zip.
>>
>> The ZIP file contains a ReadMe, the program, the source code and some test
>> ADI file that I picked up from the ADIF Web site.
>>
>> I have imported some trivial ADI files into DX4Win with no problems, but
>> you should back up your log before you try it for the first time.
>>
>> One important caveat should be noted.  If any QSO in an ADIF file already
>> have a comment field to start with then that QSO will end up with two
>> comment fields and DX4Win will join them together in the order in which
>> they are encountered.
>>
>> 73s,
>> -ricK7log

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX