Pete,
The way you can tell if it's software bogging down the system vs.
hardware/battery is this:
Just before turning off the computer for the night, update the clock.
Next day, first thing when you turn it on, check the time. Is it
accurate? If so, it's not the battery.

There are multiple clocks in the computer. The "main" clock is
hardware. The software clock accesses this info when you first turn
the computer on. Windows (on the task bar) and most software then
access one of the software clocks. One of my computers has this
problem, where some software bogs down the clock and it can be off by
minutes in a matter of hours. My solution was to use one of the
Internet time setting programs (Tardis, etc.) and have it reset the
clock every 15 minutes. If you are using WinXP, the Internet polling
of the time signal is built in and I believe defaults to every 3
hours. There are ways to make this more frequent, though there's no
setting within XP. You have to use an external program that changes a
registry setting (no, I don't know what it is, offhand).
73,
Barry W2UP