From: Larry Alkoff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: September 6, 2003 14:43
To: Larry Gauthier (K8UT); Mel Martin; Rune =D8ye
Cc: dx4win@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Dx4win] DX4win and Network

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:54:26 -0400, Mel Martin wrote:

>You can access DX4Win over a network share... easiest way is install it

>on 2 computers and access the log via the network... But remember: you
>must not access your log simultaneously with more than one instance of
>the program.

I have a question on this Mel.  If two instances of DX4Win are running
and sharing the log, does it really make any difference if both
instances _read_ the log but _writes_ are not simultaneous? In my case I
always do an alt-s after making any log changes - just in case <g>.

My log is kept on the shack computer but I also run another instance of
DX4Win in my office which uses the shack computer's log in
..\dx4win\save. In the shack I log contacts as they are made, doing
frequent alt-s. In the office, I recently checked in a bunch of qsl
cards followed by an alt-s. When I checked both ..\dx4win\save
directories I found that the shack computer log had been updated as
expected.  The office computer will retain an older copy of the log
unless I hand copy the shack computer log to the office computer.

So is this OK?  Any hidden dangers I should look out for?

73,
Larry Alkoff N2LA

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX