This bug has been around a long time... I'm not sure how far back it
goes. It happened to me once... I have no idea why and has never
happened since (so I can understand why it's hard to track down).
However I ALWAYS hit alt-s immediately after working a new one. It's
kinda stupid you have to do this... but another overdue item for Paul is
a journal file. That can't be hard to accomplish... just write a record
to an ADIF text file after each Add Paul... and make it optional if you
are concerned about performance in case someone is still running DX4Win
off a floppy drive ;-)

Alan Zack wrote:
> Yesterday I had a very strange thing occur with DX4WIN. I have been a
> registered user for many years. Currently using ver 7.07.02. I have NEVER
> seen this happen before.
>
> I opened DX4WIN using the same shortcut as always. It appeared to open
> normally. I saw ZL7T spotted on 17m CW on the DXCluster (I did not have
> PACKET open on DX4WIN, instead I was using the separate VE3SUN DX Monitor
> program for my spotting). I did an F8 search for ZL7 to see if I needed them
> on 17m CW. I did, so I worked them, and all seemed OK. I had received some
> QSL cards in the mail so I did F8 searches for those calls and marked them as
> confirmed. Over the next few hours I worked C6/W6DXC on 20m SSB, C56YK on
> RTTY, and H40FN on 17m CW. Again, before working H40FN I did a F8 search to
> see if I needed H40 on 17m CW. All my F8 searches went normally and when I
> logged each new contact I searched for their QSL info and put the info and
> address in the QSL MGR window. Everything seemed to be working FB. My
> complete log was open and seemed to be working normally.
> But then, when I was ready to shut down I did an ALT+S to save the changes.
> OK. I then clicked on the uppermost right corner X to close the program. When
> I did that a window opened saying C:\PROGRAM FILES\DX4WIN707\SAVE\K7ACZ.DXL
> WAS MODIFIED, SAVE LOG TO DISK? I clicked on YES. Another window opened
> saying something to the effect that changes could not be saved in DEMO mode.
> I looked at the top of the main menu. It read something to the effect DX4WIN
> DEMO MODE. It should have read DX4WIN 7.07.2 K7ACZ, etc. At this point I knew
> I was in trouble. I needed to close the window that said: C:\PROGRAM
> FILES\DX4WIN707\SAVE\K7ACZ.DXL WAS MODIFIED, SAVE LOG TO DISK? so I could
> write down on a pad the calls, times, modes, etc, of the contacts I had made
> during the day so I could reenter them when I could open the program back to
> normal logging again. So I hit the CANCEL option thinking that would cancel
> the closing of the program. But it closed anyway causing me to lose all the
> cont
act
>  s I had made during the day including a new mode (RTTY) for C56YK and a new
> band/mode (18m CW) for ZL7T and H40FN. I can't remember when during the 6 or
> so hours DX4WIN was open I actually made those contacts, all I can do is
> guess within an hour or so.
>
> When I restarted DX4WIN of course those contacts and changes made while in
> DEMO mode were gone. Is there anyway to retrieve those contacts? Could they
> be saved someplace I can't think of?
> How and why did DX4WIN get into the DEMO mode anyway? I can't duplicate it. I
> don't see how to get it into DEMO mode even if I wanted to.

Mel, VE2DC