Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I could not find a K7ACZ.~XL or
DX4WIN.BAK file.  I think this is because I opened DX4WIN right away
again in a panic to see if those Q's were there or not. I should have
taken a minute and looked for these files first. I think when I reopened
the program I wrote over or canceled any DX4WIN.BAK or ~XL file that
might have been saved.
I do know from experience if the PC crashes and I reopen DX4WIN after a
PC crash I will get a message telling me the program quit unexpectedly
and a backup file had been created and I should possibly use this file.
That has always been correct, Q's I would have lost when the PC crashed
were saved in this backup file and I rename it to my DXL file and all is
well. However, when closing DX4WIN and I got the message that I was in
DEMO mode and my Q's would not be saved I didn't think about looking for
a backup file if one was created.
Some have suggested if you double or triple click the icon to open the
program that might cause it to go to the demo mode.  I tried that and
sure enough after several attempts it did open in DEMO mode once.
The lesson learned is that when I open D4W I look at the top of the main
window and be sure it says the correct version number, my name and call.
And if I work someone I really need do a ALT S to write that Q into the
DXL file right away.
Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ

Subject: Re: DX4WIN in DEMO mode

You might have a backup file - check your dx4w707 directory for a .DXB
or .~XB file, see if they are later than your log.  You will have to
copy the files to your SAVE directory and give them a .DXL extension.

ALSO:
Have you checked your K7ACZ.~XL and K7ACZ backup files?  I think it's in
the Backup subfolder in the DX4WIN folder.
It may be named DX4WIN.BAK or something similar.  The K7ACZ.~XL file
will be
in your DX4WIN SAVE folder.  You might try each of those, to see if the
missing Q's are in one or both of them.