You probably need to reinstall in a new DX4Win directory that is NOT
under "program files" or "program files (86)"

I would suggest that you do a re-install then move your files over as
per AD1C's instructions...

The problem is the "improved" security in Vista restricts access
permissions in the Program* file hierarchy.