Craig,

I think that what you suggest is against traditional database design.

There are databases that support hundred of transactions per
seconds and contains millions of records withouth any problem. All
you need to do is choose the good infrasctructure and have a
proper design. This is feasible with NT and MSSQL, but many
believe that Unix offers a better infrastructure.

The e-gold economy currently generates less than 1 transaction
per 10 seconds on average... In other word, it is a very small
application. Even at peak periods, I doubt we reach one transaction
per 5 seconds. In other words, there should be no problems.