Intended recipient: E-Gold Discussion List ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Sent to you by: Deen Foxx ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Sender's note: Hey, I know this doesn't have anything to do with e-gold, but it is
related to governmental BS and many will find it of interest. This needs to get into
the public! So I hope that lots of you use the web-interface to send this out to
everyone you know.

To automatically receive all future articles, click here...
http://lp.yourhost.com/subscribe.htm
Our privacy policy can be found at the far bottom of this e-mail.

Help spread this article to everyone you know by clicking here...
http://drugwar.lp.yourhost.com/send.htm

Birthday in Solitary Confinement
(October 07, 2000)
http://drugwar.lp.yourhost.com

TODD MCCORMICK TO SPEND BIRTHDAY IN SOLITARY CONFINEMENT
LIBERTARIAN PARTY UNVEILS ANTI-DRUG WAR AD
***************************
FROM LIBERTARIAN PARTY
POLITICAL DIRECTOR RON CRICKENBERGER

Dear Libertarian Party Supporter,

Today, October 7 is Todd McCormick's birthday.

He will spend his 30th birthday in a closet-sized concrete
cell in solitary confinement at Terminal Island prison in
California.

His crime? He used medical marijuana to relieve the
crippling pain and spasms of a severe spinal condition.
Todd had cancer nine times before the age of ten. The top
five vertebrae of his neck are fused. His hips are
painfully deformed (one hip stopped growing when he was ten
years old as a result of radiation treatment.)

And he wrote about the miraculous relief he got from
medical marijuana - the only drug that ever gave him
relief.

And then he tried to provide that same medicine that had
saved his life and enabled him to be productive, active,
and happy, to other patients in the same desperate need. He
entered into a business partnership with best-selling
author Peter McWilliams. They began production on a book
about medical marijuana. And under Proposition 215, which
Californians had passed overwhelmingly in 1996 to legalize
cannabis for medical purposes, they began to produce
marijuana itself.

Or at least they tried to. Since what they were doing was
legal under state law, they made little effort to hide
their activities. They deliberately set out to define the
limits of Prop 215. Peter openly spoke of becoming "the
Bill Gates of Medical marijuana." They knew that, despite
the legality under California law, they were taking a great
chance under federal law. But they were willing to take
that chance for a cause they believed worth fighting for.

In late 1997, they were both arrested, and charged with
"conspiracy" to produce marijuana.

McWilliams, 50, had suffered from AIDS and non-Hodgkin's
lymphoma since 1996, and had used medical marijuana to
suppress the nausea that was a common side effect of the
potent medications needed to keep him alive.

After a federal judge ruled that McWilliams could not
mention his illnesses at his trial -- or introduce as
evidence any of the documented benefits of medical
marijuana -- he pled guilty to avoid a 10-year mandatory-
minimum prison sentence.

While out on bail awaiting sentencing, McWilliams was
prohibited from using medical marijuana -- and being denied
access to the drug's anti-nausea properties almost
certainly caused his death.

He was found dead in his home on June 14, having choked on
his own vomit.

Todd is serving 5 years without parole for his part in
trying to produce medicine for sick people. Unless we
change the cruel system that has imprisoned him, he will
face not only this birthday behind bars, but 5 more.

I've attached a message from Todd's Mother to the end of
this message. If you can read through it without tears, you
are a stronger person than I am. I'm hoping that you will
take a few minutes to send Todd a belated birthday card.
It's easy to feel forgotten behind bars, and sometimes a
note from the outside world is the only thing that keeps
you alive for one more day.

Especially when you have an extremely painful condition -
and you're denied the only medicine that helps the pain.

Peter McWilliams paid the ultimate price for speaking out
against the insane war on drugs. Even from what became his
deathbed, he never stopped speaking the truth. The
government could not silence him, except by his death.

I pray that Todd does not suffer the same fate from his
imprisonment. He and Peter fought with all they had for the
freedoms of us all.

But now Peter and Todd can no longer fight for us.

Now we have to fight for them.

And we have to fight for the other one million prisoners of
the drug war, and their families.

I believe that we now have the best weapon ever to fight
back against the abomination of the drug war. The Harry
Browne campaign has produced what I think is the most
powerful TV ad the Libertarian movement has ever seen.

The ad opens with man-on-the-street sound bites denouncing
the follies of the drug war. Then, as Harry speaks, we see
images of young people who are imprisoned, for 10, 20, 30,
and up to 99 years for non-violent drug crimes.

Then Harry asks the most important question missing from
the Presidential Debates - "George W. Bush and Al Gore,
would you be better people today if you had spent 10 years
in prison for your youthful indiscretions?"

And then prison doors slam shut over the images of Bush and
Gore.

There's no way I can describe how strong this ad is. You
have to see it for yourself.
You can view the ad on-line now at
http://www.lp.org/campaigns/pres/ads/

We expect that this ad is so controversial that it will
garner significant media attention on its own. But there is
no guarantee of that, of course, and even getting it played
on nightly news a few times will not be enough to make the
full use of this powerful weapon for freedom.

We'll have to buy advertising time to make sure we get this
message out - now while we can take advantage of the low,
low, candidate advertising rates that are only available
for the next 4 weeks leading up to the election.

But our ability to book time on national cable networks is
limited by our cash on hand -- because stations require
payment IN ADVANCE for political ads. We've spent so much
recently on ballot access and previous advertising, and we
are already committed to matching funds for Congressional
candidates. We have little in our coffers to get the ad on
the air.

If we want to get this ad on the air before the election,
we need a QUICK influx of cash.

That's where you can help.

After you finish reading this letter, please:

1. Go to http://www.lp.org/campaigns/pres/ads/ to view the
ad and contribute by credit card over our secure server.
Contributing by credit card will get the most ads on the
air the soonest. You can also call me, Ron Crickenberger
directly to contribute at 202-333-0008,ext. 227.

2. If you prefer to contribute by check, WRITE A CHECK, and
PUT IT IN TODAY'S OUTGOING MAIL. If you do that, we could
have your check as early as noon Tuesday and be busily
booking more ads right after lunch.

Will you help us work for Todd's release, and for Peter's
struggle to have not been in vain?

They can no longer fight for us.

We have to fight for them.

I want Americans from coast to coast to see those prison
doors slamming across the hypocritical faces of Bush and
Gore.

And I want to see this powerful message on national TV
again, and again, and again.

Don't you?

When we asked our e-mail announcement subscribers for
advertising help at the end of the '96 presidential
campaign, you responded with more than $50,000 for TV ads.
Those ads produced thousands of calls to our 800 #, and
hundreds of new Libertarian Party members. Our list is
three times as large now as it was then, so we could
potentially raise $150,000 or more to run advertising the
last weeks before the election.

That much advertising would put our ad on before more than
15 million viewers, who will see our ad right before they
go to the polls and vote.

But only if you contribute today.

Can you send $1,000 today to help get this message out? Or
can you reach extra deep, and send $5,000? Or $250, or
$100? Whatever you can send, we'll put it to immediate use
in running more ads.

So we need your contribution NOW when it will do the most
good.

Please -- help give us the fast infusion of cash we need to
keep escalating our advertising buys right up through
Election Day.

The other side can never win the war on drugs. We can, by
bringing in a permanent drug peace. Please help. Today.

And please also send Todd a card. The address is at the end
of this message. He needs to know that he's not alone, and
that the fight is still being fought.

Yours for Liberty,

Ron Crickenberger
Political Director

P.S. You might reasonably ask if we're exploiting Peter
McWilliams and Todd McCormick, just for the sake of
advancing a political agenda.

Your damned right we are!

Because that's what Peter wanted. Peter told me before he
died, "Ron, I want you to do everything you can to make me
the poster boy for medical marijuana, in any and every way
you can. And whatever I have to endure I'll endure, if I
can do something to change this insane system."

But now Peter is dead, and Todd is in jail, and the system,
for now, is the same.

Please help us complete their struggle. Please help us end
the drug war, and win the drug peace.

For their sake, and for the hundreds of thousands like them
in prison.

Thank you.

P.P.S. -- Contribute by credit card at our web site and
we'll get a jump start on placing ads. The URL is:

   http://www.lp.org/lp-tv-ads.html

HERE'S THE CONTRIBUTION FORM:  Please print out the form
below on your computer printer, fill it in, and enclose it
with your check.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _

ENCLOSED IS MY CONTRIBUTION OF:
[ ] $10,000 to reach more than one million TV viewers.
[ ] $1,000 to reach more than 100,000 viewers.
[ ] $500 to put our message on 50,000 TV screens.
[ ] $250 to put another nail in the coffin of the war on
drugs
[ ] $100 to slam prison doors across Bush and Gore 10,000
times.

LIMITATIONS: Contributions to political committees are not
tax-deductible.

Please make your check payable to "Libertarian Party" or
provide the following information for credit card payment:

   [ ] MasterCard  [ ] Visa  [ ] Amex  [ ] Discover

   Card number________________________ Expires____________

   Signature______________________________________________

   Name___________________________________________________

   Address________________________________________________

   City_________________________ State____ Zip____________

   Phone__________________________________________________

   E-Mail_________________________________________________

   Occupation_____________________________________________

   Employer_______________________________________________

NOTE:  Federal law requires political committees to report
the name, mailing address, and occupation and name of
employer for each individual whose contributions aggregate
in excess of $200 in a calendar year.

PLEASE ADDRESS YOUR ENVELOPE TO:

  E-mail Response
  Libertarian Party
  2600 Virginia Avenue NW/Suite 100
  Washington, DC 20037

The following is from Todd McCormick's mom, Ann.

Todd has been in the 'hole' since August 15. If he is found
'guilty' by the review board (essentially, we're talking a
kangaroo court) he will remain in isolation, lose all
visiting privileges for a year, be restricted to a single
phone call per month, and God knows what else.

This is all creating tremendous stress on his health and
state of mind. Todd is such a 'people person'.  Being alone
in a closet size room 23 hours a day and then spending the
other hour alone in the exercise yard is in no way
proportionate to what he has been accused of. To keep in
mind that he is in prison, in the first place, for
gardening, makes the whole thing even more ludicrous.

So many people have written asking what can we do. I
honestly don't know.

When circumstances are dire, and the answer to 'what to
do?' is "I don't know" there is one remaining action ...

PRAY.

What I am asking everyone to do throughout the day is pray,
meditate, visualize -- for Todd to win his release, all
together, from prison.

This has been going on for 37 months now. In all, he has
spent 9 months in jail. They have turned his life and his
friends and families lives upside down. This has seriously
damaged Todd's health. Peter is dead. Neither Renee nor
Kiril can come home. Alex is on probation.

For over 2 decades I fought to keep my son alive, even when
his doctors felt no optimism. Now, I am expected to sit
back like a 'good little citizen' and watch my government
slowly kill him?

Materially, they have all lost everything they have worked
for during their lives and have incredible debts piled on
top of that. Already, well into 7-figures have been lost
fighting this insane persecution (yes, PERSECUTION).

Peter McWilliams alone lost 2 homes and a successful
career/business he had run for over 30 years - and died
deeply in debt - not to mention the savings and assets he
went through during the last 3 years of his life, fighting
the charges - or the pain, suffering and illness he
experienced trying to comply with the courts orders.

ENOUGH.

The punishment is supposed to fit the crime. Cruel and
unusual punishments are against everything this nation is
supposed to stand for. We are supposed to be a 'civilized'
nation. We are supposed to be the "land of the free". We
cherish liberty, self-determination and rugged
individualism above all. At least that is what I grew up
believing.

It appears, now, to have been a cruel joke -- or, perhaps,
just a bunch of cleverly crafted, damnable lies.

None of these people are violent predators. None of them
robbed, stole - or maliciously took advantage of others in
any way. None were or are a threat to society. All are
kind, gentle spirits, with tremendous respect and reverence
for nature, the planet and mankind. Todd, Kiril, Alex and
Renee are all vegan. All have lived a totally 'green'
environmentally protective lifestyle.

They have been dragged through this hell for nurturing a
plant - an ancient healing herb - grown for the purpose of
benefiting others and eliminating pain and suffering.

This is the United States' interpretation of what
constitutes criminal behavior?

My God! What kind of nation, what kind of society have we become?

Cards and letters may be sent to Todd at:

Todd Patrick McCormick
Inmate # 11071-112
F.C.I.
P.O. Box 3007
Terminal Island, CA 90731

Information About the McCormick Case:
http://www.levellers.org/toddtoc.htm
http://www.november.org/ToddMc.html

PRIVACY POLICY:

  If this e-mail originated from our web-site, every precaution
has been made to prevent people from maliciously using our service
to send you unsolicited mailings (SPAM). More than likely, if you
have received this e-mail from someone you do not personally know,
an incorrect e-mail address had been entered by accident. The
e-mail address of the sender has been verified to be valid and you
can reply to them personally to let them know of any errors.
However, we are not responsible for any unsolicited mailings that
have been manually forwarded to you without the use of our service.

  We encourage you to use our web-site service to send the articles
to all your family members, friends, relatives, co-workers, and
mentors. No information placed on our site will ever be sold or
given to any other services, lists, merchants or organizations.
Please do not send to anyone that does not know who you are,
otherwise they may feel they are being sent unsolicited mailings
and may become angry with you. Just use common sense when deciding
who to e-mail information to.

  Do not give out the URL's with your authorization code or else
others will be able to send out messages as though they were you.

Thank you for your help,
Friends of the LP