Jay W. wrote:

> hi all,
> as much as we'd like to encourage developers to utilize
> e-gold, in this case e-gold account holders should follow
> the passphrase guidelines displayed on the login page:
> https://www.e-gold.com/acct/login.html
> specifically:

<snip>

> also your browser should not present you with any warnings about the
> certificate.

Jay,

A browser may present a warning (pop up windows) when a Certificate
Authority's root certificate is not bundled with the other root
certificates in the browser. There's nothing particularly trustworthy
about Verisign and others relative to other Certificate Authorities
that can't afford the bundling costs of Microsoft, Netscape, AOL,
Opera and other browsers. Just because a CA can afford the big
bucks to have the certificates bundled in the major browsers doesn't
make them any more trustworthy than those CAs that can't afford the
bundling costs.

Those businesses that choose a high priced CA have to pass those
higher costs on to their customers in the form of higher prices.

What you might think about is this. A business that you have a
particularly large amount of trust in (why would you be doing
business with them if not) and has choosen a low priced CA,
probably choose that low priced CA because the business has a
particularly large amount of trust in that CA. If you trust the
business then why not trust the low priced CA that the business
choose? You can accept the low priced CA's root certificate using
your browser's pop up windows (the "warning" windows that you
mentioned). It's something to think about. In the future, keep
your eye on the low priced CAs (in the pop up windows) that some
of your most trustworthy and innovative businesses are choosing.

The days of a couple of large CAs dominating the industry are over.
Even if the US government starts to require licensing (further
increasing the cost barriers to entry into the industry, and
increasing online business expenses even more, thus raising prices
for the consumer). Government licensing of the industry is putting
the fox in charge of the chicken house. Licensing is just an
anti-competition measure and another indirect tax.  ... ok, I'm
done now on that point. :)

I completely agree with your first point. I myself would never ever
give my e-gold account password to *any* site other than e-gold's.

Bob