Hi,

I have been watching this conversation and am interested in the view
that most people are taking. I don't have any experience of US tax
laws or the IRS code on capital gains tax, but in most countries,
there are fairly open guidelines about capital gains taxes that are
"interpreted" on a case by case basis. For instance, if you bought and
lived in your family home for 6 years, then after having a couple of
kids, sold and bought a larger house, even large profits realised in
the sale of your first home would not usually attract capital gains
tax. If on the other hand you bought and sold 3 houses in a month, you
would certainly attract some capital gains tax. The difference is that
you are speculating.

It would be open to interpretation if utilising e-gold for daily
transactions could be considered as speculating, since your
"intention" is not to create profits by trading gold. In fact on many
daily transactions, you may even lose profit, meaning you could claim
capital losses and reduce your tax burden!

Another point that everyone here seems to have completely overlooked
is the fact that accounting software is extremely complex stuff that
does an incredible job of looking after the finances of a business.
Even large businesses usually have more data entry personnel than real
accountants and bookkeepers these days, the software does it all. If a
large firm saw the advantage of using e-gold for thousands of
transactions a day as has been suggested, it would be an INCREDIBLY
SIMPLE matter to have an accounting module added to their existing
software that would do ALL the extra work necessary to take into
account the capital gains/losses and include the results in the
various balance sheets. All that "may" be necessary, depending on the
structure of the businesses payment model, would be an extra field in
the input form like: e-gold transaction? Yes|no. this is a total
no-brainer :-)

Have you ever been to a duty free shop at the airport? Those guys
accept any currency you could hand to them without the blink of an
eye, select the appropriate currency on the register, and without a
twitch, complete the transaction AND give change. That is a MUCH more
complex operation than accepting e-gold and I guarantee the DF shop
owner doesn't lose any sleep over his accounts. It is all handled by
his software.

If you want to use information age currency and solutions, you have to
stop thinking of "industrial age" methods and move on to the relevant
technology. Anyone who can't see how simple it all really is, just
doesn't realise the capabilities of modern information systems.

Regards,

Sidd.