[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >At 08:33 AM 12/27/2000 +1100, David Hillary wrote:
> >>why doesn't some enterprising person set up a business out-exchannging
> >>e-gold directly with online retailers and negotiate discounts with
> >>retailers based on a secure and guaranteed prompt payment and the
> >>additional business it would bring the retailers?
>
> *wave*
>
> http://www.bananagold.com
>
> unfortunately, Amazon just won't even think about discounting unless
> you spend vast amounts of money per year (millions).  (Quite
> reasonably, considering they are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.)
>
> As far as I'm aware, amazon.com is the only realistic online retailer
> (are there any others that do serious business?)
>
> Banana gold is really just set up as a charity to promote egold.  It
> is unconceivable it could ever recover development costs.
>
> A very complex little robot!
>
> I notice BANANAGOLD is popular with Aussies and New Zealanders
> lately!  Rock on!  Enjoy it!

I sell Cable and Wireless Optus telecommunications/ cable tv/ cable
internet products door to door for a living in Sydney, Australia, and
our dial-up ISPs come, not only with a free line rental on your Optus
landline, but with a full refund of the monthly fee in vouchers which
can be spent at selected online retailers (this offer has expired
though). The only way this could have been anything like viable is for
the online retailers to give discounts to Optus and commissions on
additional purchases by consumers. Consumers have to pay for the ISP by
credit card, so, the consumers are capable of buying additional products
online with their credit cards.

It would not take mauch to provide e-gold users with a substantial
benefit in their online purchasing. Say, a 5% discount and 3% from the
better security and speed of settlement and lower fees would add up to
enough to cover in-exchange costs and make it more efficient. Factor in
falling ine-exchange costs and rising e-gold user base and this type of
business would seem very viable.