Frank,

Thank you for your reply. I was not suggesting for one moment that there was
anything amiss with your business, but was actually asking a more general
question about licensing for Market Makers in various jurisdictions. In most
countries (maybe not the Netherlands?) a license from some financial
supervisory authority such as the National Bank is required to operate a
currency exchange business exchanging say dollars to guilders, and also to
buy and sell gold. I was wondering if the same rules applied to e-gold
exchange businesses.

As an aside, I do agree that the system you describe in Holland sounds
pretty effective - based on what you say, and compared my experiences of it
4 or 5 years ago, it has obviously been tightened up a lot in the last few
years. I have personally opened bank accounts in the Netherlands and nobody
asked me any questions. If the ISP even checks for compliance with the law,
maybe that's going a bit too far...

I also concur with Julian Morrison that the system basically demands a
"caveat emptor" approach. E-gold don't have any direct control over MMs, and
neither is it desirable that they should have. Just as not every business
that exchanges dollars has to be approved by the Federal Reserve. I guess
what you say about picture IDs etc applies to MMs listed on the official
e-gold site, but I know there are many MMs who are not "official". The
coconutgold.com site for example states: "Coconut Gold Offshore is utterly
independent of e-goldŽ, "G&SR", and related entities. In fact Coconut is
probably THE most independent of the market makers. We have absolutely
NOTHING to do with e-goldŽ / "G&SR" and don't even get stock from them. We
are utterly independent." And I know Coconut Gold has a first class
reputation.

Anyway I think it is great that there is a free market, but in a free market
people must be able to make informed decisions. E-gold relies very much on
people's trust in the system... I mean how many people really check whether
the gold exists at JPMorgan or in Dubai or wherever... and I think it's
disappointing from that point of view that they have apparently been slow to
react to obvious scams like e-qold and flat rate gold.

Best,

offshoresurfer