At 7:21 PM -0400 6/4/01, C. Cormier - Ormetal Inc. wrote:
>James,
>
>"In the wild", you gram would be dispersed in between two and for
>tons of ore... It is really fascinating how this yellow stuff is rare.

Yeah, maybe I should rephrase that. Also, this dust is almost as
exasperating to try to handle as the foil! Fortunately, Parker was
kind enough (or wise enough, knowing what I was about to try!)
to send me an extra quarter gram vial, for a total of five. I think I
have corralled most of this into a single vial, but my hands (and
just about everything else within my reach) are now covered with
teeny flecks of gold!  :(  Oh well, I hope I got most of it in there.

I have a renewed appreciation for very large nuggets after today,
that's for sure! (I suppose another lesson of all this is that there's
even less gold than I thought in that "Goldschlager" liqueur (this
may shock some of you, since it contains both alcohol and gold,
but I think that stuff is truly horrible!) Beer for me, thanks.

>Did you know that all the gold mined since mankind hold in a cube
>that has only  19 meters on its sides?

I'd heard that (I think this means it could all just barely fit in my
little apartment!). An actual 19-meter cube of gold-spraypainted
styrofoam just might make an interesting item for some group
trying to make a point about how rare gold is.

I wonder how they came up with this figure? And I wonder how
much is in central bank vaults, and how much is being worn as
jewelry, and how much is in our computers (or other industrial
uses)? I also wonder how much of the cube would be taken up
by 121 400oz bars if they were all melted down, and what size
THAT "cube-within-a-cube" might be?
JMR