On 4 Jun 2001, at 20:49, James M. Ray wrote:

> I wonder how they came up with this figure?

According to all production data, approximately 140,000 tons of
gold have been produced since mankind.

Gold specific gravity is 19.3 ton per cubic meter which means that
all the gold that has been produced has a volume of roughly 6990
cubic meters (140,000/19,3).  The cubic root of 6990 is
approximately 19. So a cube of 19 meters hold all the gold.

And I wonder how
> much is in central bank vaults,

Roughly 33,000 tons... in theory. A lot of it has been leased,
melted and sold on the market.

>and how much is being worn as
> jewelry,

Probably..as much as 40-50,000 tons if not more.

 and how much is in our computers (or other industrial
> uses)?

Very little in comparison to investment bars and jewellery.

I also wonder how much of the cube would be taken up
> by 121 400oz bars if they were all melted down, and what size
> THAT "cube-within-a-cube" might be?

I would say roughly a cube of 42 centimeters side.

Claude