Viking Coder wrote:

> > So it's offered as an option in the setup screens, "notify me if
> > somebody pays me", and the default is "don't". Spends will still go onto
> > the statements, they just won't result in users recieving emails.
>
> That still requires e-gold to spend time & resources on making e-gold a
> better get-paid-to-read-email system rather than a better private digital
> currency.

Notifications are useful for more than spam - for example, they are an
excellent automation tool, and useful for ordinary people so they can
see when their MM comes though with the goods, etc etc.

Even with no change to anything, microdonation and memo spamming are
trivial and show in the statement pages.

> [...]If e-gold
> included the option in the sign-up screen, that would be an official
> action. They would be officially recognizing and endorsing the fact that
> account holders will be spammed mercilessly.

No, its effect would be that they could *choose* to be spammed,
*mercifully*, as well as any non spam usefulness. That is, notifications
will be under their sole control, even if the money comes in anyway. And
it will have the effect of pushing up donation amounts in order to
persuade people to take notice.

> One thing I think a few people haven't realized about the acct spamming is
> that you only have 50 characters to work with.

So? You can still do enough with that.

> One other point about acct
> spamming is that you don't know which 95,000 accts are funded, so you
> would have to spend to every single account. That would destroy that
> valuable fact on the stats page. It would show that there are 250,000
> accts of which 250,000 are funded.

No means possible of preventing that, unfortunately. The "number funded
by more than X" will become more useful instead.