but I don't think this is a
> "copy" of
> the eBay site. It is similar only to the extent that it is following
> commonly used user interface elements or concepts. Just look at
> how many
> search engine and directory sites look like Yahoo! (even having
> all the same
> categories) or indeed, how your car has the exact same pedal
> configuration(and plenty of other things) to a Mercedes, even if
> you own some other brand
> of car, and Mercedes Benz made the first car. Also, how many
> companies use
> Ford's assembly-line production method? I think it's just a matter of
> industry best practice. Even if it may look a bit boring that so many
> websites look the same, users respond better to an interface they have
> already learned.

I see your point Ian but at what point is a copy a copy and at what
point is it not?  with software and applications it can be a moot
pooint sometimes.  There is the matter of design regiatration also. If
I design a car that looks like a mercedes and call it a mercie  would
mercedes want to sue be for infringing their copyright?

Most likely.

I could design a site and call it Abay  and have exactly the same
fontal design.  Would that infringe copyright?  Can I use the same
style without infringing copyright?

FWIW

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.gold-today.com

Ebay may just consider it is small potatoes and not worth worrying
about.