Michael Moore wrote:

> this has been an ongoing problem in commerce  and banking and part of
> the answer  (not the right one perhaps) has been to introduce the 'know
> your customer' policy.  Unfortunately this also tends to cut across the
> rights of the individual.  So the problem is where do you draw the line
> between the rights of the individual and the efforts to curb criminal
> activities?

Yes, that is the problem.  Or more to the point how to eliminate any
need
to trade off between the two.

> So far there has not been an effective solution to this problem.  The
> 'Authorities' take the stance of suspect everyone and introduce various
> restrictive legislation (hence their 'know your customer' policy) as,
> from their viewpoint, curbing criminal activities is more important
> than civil rights.

IMO, the most important thing for authorities throughout history and in
all places has been to curb civil rights.  The petty activities of their
freelance criminal bretheren are just a convenient excuse.

You gave a good description of the situation.  But we need some new
ideas for solutions.

CCS