>Two places to fear:
>
>- the EU, because they are a bunch of tax-happy reds, who are pushing to
>wipe out tax havens and "harmonize" everyone's taxes.
>
>- the USA, because it wants to tax worldwide income, and so must snoop
>worldwide.

I don't think the USA is much different from any other major country in

that regard.  The reason I left Australia was for tax reasons.  I loved it
there, but I only stayed 21 days of one tax year and 176 days of the next
tax year.  If I had stayed more than six months in a single tax year, 1
July  to 30 June, would have been taxed at their outrageous rates on all of
my income worldwide.  Even though my main salary was paid by my US company
to me in my US bank accounts.  They would even have taxed my personal
businesses that were not even active in Australia.

Not that I don't still like the country.  It is on the top of my list of
places to expat to if I do get fed up with the US or decide to retire.  In
fact I have a standing invitation to come work for the group I was assigned
to while I was then.

Cheers,
Paul Ewing
Shining Moon Creations - Exotic and Fantasy Jewelry
http://www.shiningmoon.com