Bob,

Hans is right.  Your conception of how the futures markets work is
entirely wrong.

> Many don't even have the financial capacity to do so;
>
> I would say the opposite. Most pork belly futures contract owners do
> have the financial capability to take delivery.

I said many not most.  Certainly when I traded futures I never had
the capacity to take delivery.  [Major players do have the finacial
capacity but it is so seldom done that it is unlikely you would be
able to find a broker who knows how to do it.]

> Say a single contract is worth USD 100,000. And the owner put
> down 5% to buy it. Where did the other USD 95,000 come from? The
> broker loaned it to the owner.

Bob, this is utterly false.  Nothing of the sort takes place.

>> Presumably, it's planned that 99% or so of the people who trade
>>in pork bellies never will "redeem" a contract for them, but as
>>long as about 1% of the players CAN,
>
>Jim, it doesn't work like that. The brokers aim for 100% of players
>that *CAN* take delivery of the underlying security. Try opening
>an account for buying any type of futures contract. Then you'll see.

Jim was right.  You should try opening a commodities account yourself
and learn something about the futures markets!

> >it doesn't matter at all, and all contracts tend to settle
> >*without* most owners ever having to worry about what to
> >do with an unexpected truckload of bacon --
>
>So are you saying that when the bacon futures contract settles,
>it's life ends,

That is exactly what happens.

> the underlying security (the bacon) went pueff?

For most futures contracts there never was any underlying security.

Best,

CCS

Did you know that e-gold Ltd. stores more gold on behalf of customers
than many countries? See http://www.gold.org/Gra/Gra1.htm and the
e-gold Examiner at http://www.e-gold.com/examiner.html for details.