Hello!

> > risk, and uncertainty seem to make gold coins a bad auction
> >item.
>
> Risk and uncertainty of what?  Risk that the coin isn't a coin?  That's
> covered in the terms of service.  You get what you pay for, and there
> is a good system, IMNSFHO, for dealing with fraud.

Here are some things that would normally make me suspicious of your gold
coin auction: [They didn't make me suspicious because you have a reputation
as an honest person -- I even bid on the coin. However, if I did not know
you from this mailing list, then these issues would apply.]

1) The auction does not show the actual picture of the item being sold. This
is highly indicative of some sort of problem with the coin. I can sell that
coin at 1% - 2% ABOVE SPOT at a certain coin store here in Houston, if it's
in good shape. If there is a noticeable problem with the coin, then the
price might drop below the spot price, significantly impacting the value of
the coin.

2) When a seller accepts ONLY non-reversable types of payments, there is a
chance of seller fraud, especially when the seller sells using ONLY digital
gold currencies. If you were to walk away from the sale after I made my
payment, there is nothing that I can do about it without spending thousands
of dollars. This makes this type of auction an extremely risky endeavor. I
don't know of any types of fraud controls you have in place, but e-Bay now
does a thorough credit check on any would-be sellers before allowing them to
post. Illegal fraud flocks to items which will return them a high-value.
After all, there is no risk to the seller.

3) The shipping cost and insurance cost is not specified in the auction.
This leaves the issue open and a high shipping and/or insurance cost will
detract from the value received by the buyer.

4) When purchasing anything on-line, there is a risk that the item will
become lost in the mail, or fail to be delivered in a timely fashion. This
can make the purchase a very unpleasant experience.

>From my perspective, the above risks will easily detract buyers from
offering the same price they will otherwise offer in person. This makes a
gold coin a bad auction item. Given that the coin can be sold at the spot
price in most coin stores, (and a little more in some others), then why
would you want to sell it on-line, when it is unlikely that buyers will
offer as much?

SnowDog

Did you know that e-metal is a wonderful holiday gift? Avoid the hassle this year!