At 06:51 AM -0600 11/01/2001, Jim Davidson wrote:
Hi, and thanks for your kind words!

>plastic (PLASTIC?! yes, plastic) coins, created and spent by the
>artist.  Wow.  I guess anything is money if you have a convincing
>patter.

My friend Boggs is nothing if not convincing. He has been thinking
about this money-thing for quite a while, and it shows in his art. I
like them because they are better-executed coins than the US mint
did, for a number of reasons. They are more durable, lighter, and
slightly larger (easier to distinguish from quarters) than the "golden"
Sacagawea dollar, whose yellow color quickly wears off in use.

>don't show up on the GoldBarter auction site.  That must mean
>that people aren't aware of or don't see or find confusing our
>input form where a link to an image can be added to the auction.

Well, the pics on JP's page are a bit large, but if I were you I'd have
very lax limits on the size of photos, since storage is cheap these
days and people like big photos, but you should also try to keep a
text-only version usable IMO.

>In fact, it seems that this gold coin is the only thing people find worth
>bidding upon.

Ok, how about a hard-to-get item? (sorry, free US states only!)

http://www.GoldBarter.com/viewauction.jsp?id=38

(Hmmm..."Is it an auction or a rant?" You decide!)

>>it because it's also information I want & because most companies are
>>still clueless about email-for-money).
>
>See, I think that is one of the very highly powerful things not being tapped
>in the Internet economy thus far. ...

Alternatively, the "price" might be just a request for a tip if
you want more or more-frequent art of what-ever kind. I am
continually-amazed that e-gold hasn't been discovered by
giant recording companies. The RIAA's concentration seems
to be "let's buy enough politicians to prevent ANY chance
of US laws conforming with world-wide reality."

Try to imagine them and Napster putting 1/2 the resources
into promoting e-gold tipjars for musicians that they've put
into the legal system over the past few years...What a waste!

There could be a beautiful, voluntary thing going on in the
music industry right now, with online music fulfilling the 'net's
promise to artists of more-direct contact with their fans! The
problem is that these huge, often-failing companies do not
seem able to imagine how good e-gold could be for them! I
am sure that once a few of them understand e-gold, the rest
will follow, but if anyone knows how to get their attention, I'm
all ears.

>And, that is one further reason for something like GoldBarter, to help
>set prices for things.

One thing you could also do with users is what Flying Rat
tried and what Vince Callaway of Freedomhound is doing at:
http://www.freedomhound.com:80/servlet/echannel?Request=Render&ID=1901044
and implement for-pay email. It's a good thing the 'savvy'
investors were buying "WebVan" stock, or they might have
noticed an opportunity.
JMR

Did you know that e-metal is a wonderful holiday gift? Avoid the hassle this year!