[Note: significant discussion of e-gold issues below.]

Dear John,

> Thank you for the thoughtful (as always) and complete reply
> to my rather short observation.

"One is glad to be of service."

*A Few Thoughts on Politics*

> an appearance that our elections are fair and open.

It is possible that elections within the LPUS are fair
and open.  It is in contrast to a huge and growing body
of evidence to suppose that national and state elections
within the USA are fair and open.  I mention these points
in an effort to draw attention to your use of the third
person plural possessive pronoun.  "Our" is meaningful in
the sense of LP elections or nominations processes, and is
not a good pronoun for you to use in referring to elections
in Tennessee or in the USA.  My purpose in illuminating this
distinction is to encourage more people to think about
the property aspects of liberty: neither you nor I own
the elections, the processes by which they are controlled,
or the systems by which they have been corrupted, so it is
no wonder we get really poor results from them.

I share your enthusiasm for the LP being denied ballot access
as punishment for its success.  That should serve to nicely
polarize rather a large number of liberty enthusiasts.

*Bang for the Marketing Buck*

Your idea to publicize the fact that the LP is being denied
ballot access owing to its success is a good one.  I would
urge you to concentrate any funds in that regard toward the
effective use of publicity.  Not just press releases, but
guest editorials and letters to the editor sent to the smaller
city and county newspapers, especially the weeklies which
form the backbone of small-town information, works very well.
It is important to learn the contact information for the
editors and publishers of all these papers, and send such
guest editorials and letters directed to their attention;
you'll find that data in press association publications in
the local library there. You'll also find that editors and
publishers of small town newspapers are eager for content and
extremely sympathetic toward liberty issues, by and large.

You won't find it easy to buy media space or time for
commercials in the major cities, and it won't be cost
effective, either.  Direct mail is far better, but not as
effective at conveying *ideas* as small town newspapers.

As for Vermont carry, the question isn't why Tennesseans
cannot have it.  They can, should, and do.  The question is
why does Tennessee make it a practice to deny any "right
benefit or privilege" guaranteed by the USA constitution
(e.g., the Second Amendment as discussed in the 1939 Miller
Supreme Court of the US (SCOTUS) decision or the 2001 Emerson
ruling by the Fifth Circuit) or sell that "right" for a fee,
which practice violates the so-called "fourteenth" amendment
to the USA constitution which guarantees equal protection of
those rights to all citizens of the several states and to all
citizens of the United States.

I should think a better strategy than calling into question
these facts would be a well-funded and well-publicized
lawsuit of the Tennessee Attorney General, the Governor,
any legislator who voted for such either a carry permit law
or a carry abolition law, and any agents of any agencies
that enforce such laws.  Here we enter into a fertile ground
for further discussion which well exceeds the parameters of
this group, but, briefly, the point of such a lawsuit is
not to win in court.  I don't think the court system is any
less corrupt than the elections process, and have much
evidence to support this view.

However, a well-publicized lawsuit would have the effect of
polarizing public opinion on the issue.  Such a suit is
bound to be dismissed early on, and appeal to higher courts
is likely to go nowhere until it reaches at least the Circuit
level, and, being likely denied at the state supreme court
level, such an appeal would have to go directly to SCOTUS,
I think.  It would also serve notice to those agents of
government who involve themselves in foreswearing their oaths
to uphold the constitution that they are targets of legal
proceedings and may not forever be able to rely on the
courts to reject such petitions.  With any luck, some of them
will over-react and call for the summary execution of the
plaintiffs, or some other such nonsense.  Again, care in
the venues for publicity is vital, since much of the story
won't be carried by the banking cartel owned mainstream media
in the major cities.

*The Dementia of Voting*

I have mixed feelings on the issue of referenda.  On the one
hand, I feel that individuals should have a say in how they
are governed and especially in how money pilfered from them
(taxes) should be spent.  On the other hand, the overwhelming
body of evidence for election fraud combined with the
considerable evidence from opinion polls that bond issues
and other spending choices by referenda suffer from a mental
disconnect by the voters from the issue of where this money
comes from (most voters seem to be eager for any perceived
"benefit" of government while feeling that any cost is likely
borne by others and not themselves), suggest that referenda are
not liberty-supporting.  I agree with the many arguments that
have been put forward that voting is a poor way to make
choices and may create moral difficulties for the voter. See
the vulgar URL http://www.fuckthevote.org/ and the excellent
site http://www.anti-state.com/ for details.

It is enough for me to call it dementia that people keep
doing the same behavior (voting) in expectation of different
results.  That's crazy.  It is like going to see a John Wayne
film in which the hero dies at the end of the film, hoping
each time that he'll live, instead.  No matter how many times
you watch the film, it'll come out the same.  No matter how
many elections you vote in, you'll not get more liberty from
their results.

>Instead of giving the appearance of legitimacy to the election
>we will if I have enough influence be questioning that legitimacy.

I encourage you to do what you think is right.  However,
the LP has a tendency to betray the individuals who create
its value, especially when they dare to call into question
the process of electoral politics.

It is very likely, though, that you can do a great deal of
good by encouraging the LP groups at city and county levels
to place precinct judges and poll watchers in as many of the
election places as possible.  A great deal of publicity was
gained when some LP poll watchers in Florida observed very
great violations of the election laws there in 2000.

*Commerce Is Good*

> Yes I do make a dollar off each item sold hope this is OK
> list wise.

Of course it is, John.  I encourage everyone on these lists
to make money, as much as they can by legitimate means. I
shamelessly plug my web sites, and encourage the same
behavior in others.  Your words are your property; your
posts to any list are your property until they arrive at
the list (at which point they enter a quasi-public domain
status, owing in part to some of the confused ideas in the
Yahoo Groups policies and terms of service) and you have
every reason to include messages with commercial content.

Having said that, I am also happy to delete spam junk
e-mails and moderate or ban the accounts of those who post
them here.  It is one thing to include commercial content
in a .sig file or within the body of a message which is
otherwise relevant to the topics of Awdal's economy and
individual liberty; it is quite another to spam the list
with off-topic advertising.  The first approach represents
a benefit to the users of this list, who may wish to buy
such stuff as your T-shirts and teddies bear, and also
motivates more thoughtful posts on topic; the second is
a nuisance.  I enjoy crushing vermin.

*Indoctrination and Freedom*

>It has been and is a monumental task to untangle oneself
>from the government in this country, (or perhaps I am just
>weak?)

I'm in complete agreement that it is a monumental task.
Consider, for example, the close relationship between your
bank account information and various databases, such as
the National Security Agency's and UKUSA treaty organization's
ECHELON.  If you are using your Social Security Number in
any banking transaction, which is required if you are the
signatory on any checking, savings, or loan account by a
USA licensed bank, you are in trouble.

I've said it before, and will enjoy saying it again: the
US Banking Privacy Law might better be called "the US
bank invasion of privacy law" if truth-in-labeling could
be applied to acts of Congress.  A wise man, Henry David
Thoreau http://www.houstonspacesociety.org/civil.html
made the worthy point in 1848 that trade and commerce, if
they were not made of a substance as elastic as India rubber,
could not bounce over and around all the obstacles that
legislators are constantly putting in their way, and that
if these legislators were to be judged solely on the
results of their work rather than also partly on their
stated intentions, they would deserve to be classed and
punished with the mischief makers who put obstacles on
railroad tracks.  For my own part, I think most legislators
deserve to be classed as traitors and punished (after
an appropriate drum head trial) rather more severely.

*Better Money, Greater Privacy*

It is possible to make great strides toward personal
privacy.  The quality of your money is a key ingredient in
your pursuit of privacy.  GoldMoney.com, for example,
runs a private online digital gold-backed currency from
web servers based in Jersey, the Channel Islands.  That
puts your transactions beyond the reach of most USA
subpoenas including both civil and criminal requests for
information.  A Jersey court simply won't respect most such
requests.  Your financial privacy is important, whether or
not you engage in any criminal activity at all, since the
litigation-mad American legal system provides incentive
for anyone who knows you (spouses, children, vendors,
customers, regulators, etc.) to file a lawsuit against
you or (in the case of a civil asset forfeiture proceeding)
against your monetary assets.  USA regulated banks are an
idiotically bad place to store wealth: the IRS and other
agencies can levy your account without warning; your
assets in such accounts may be frozen or seized without
notice, etc.  http://www.GoldMoney.com/

Another example of better money is 3PGold, provided by
the good folks at 3PSecure.com.  These guys operate from
the Commonwealth of Dominica and use servers based, I
think, on Sealand.  http://www.3PPay.com/ I think.

I think it wise to point out that the terms of service
agreements of these two companies should be reviewed by
you in detail.  I don't think it wise to engage in illegal
practices or quasi-legal but vindictively prosecuted
behaviors like money laundering, and I am fairly confident
that a rationally conducted investigation into actual
wrongdoing on the part of a GoldMoney or 3PGold customer
might result in voluntary compliance with a subpoena, but,
at the very least, the standard of what constitutes
wrongdoing in Jersey and in Dominica is different, and in
many ways better, than it is in the USA.  If you are doing
what you may to avoid taxes, keep your wealth, do business
with others of like mind, and seek to protect your privacy,
I am very confident that you'll find an agreeable set of
vendors in the folks at GoldMoney and 3PSecure *and* you
may be impressed with the attitude of officials in the
Channel Islands, in Dominica, and in Sealand toward those
pursuits.

Next point, the implications of the technology available
at http://www.Cambist.net/ to automagically spend your
GoldMoney goldgrams as if they were e-gold allows you to
safeguard your privacy and property using the clever choice
of jurisdictions made by GoldMoney proprietors for your
benefit, while enjoying the many fine services provided by
e-gold merchants and market makers worldwide.  So, yes,
e-gold made an unfortunate choice, I think, in basing its
services on web servers hosted in the USA, and, yes, it has
by far the dominant market share of the gold economy, but,
no, that need not interfere with your ability to serve your
own interests very well indeed.

I should like to point out that Cambist is working as fast
as it can to integrate 3PGold, eBullion, and other digital
currencies into its automated system as soon as possible, so
that you may enjoy as many choices as possible.

*Free Yourself*

The key to your individual freedom is private property. The
key to your property is money.  The bankers know it.  That's
why the collaborate with government to make it easier for
them to get between you and your property, so that you may
become a debt slave, a wage slave, or foolishly encumber your
property to secure otherwise unsecured debts.  Caveat emptor
is only the beginning.  "Let the buyer beware" does much good,
but the seller must beware, also.

For the seller who accepts credit card payments or, worse,
PayPal, is doing himself a disservice.  Charge backs happen.
And your agreement with a credit card vendor provides for
that vendor to suck money right out of your bank account for
any charge backs.  Be very careful with such services.

>some of us were essentially born into government service.

Indeed.  And others are falling into debt peonage through
student loans, federally "guaranteed" mortages, and other
"benefits" which entice and beguile and entrap.  Again,
caveat omni.  Let everyone beware.

>Raised with the full expectation that government was our mother,
> our father, protector and punisher.

Yup.  One might use terms like "indoctrinated" as well,
to correctly assess the damage done by the public school
system.  I am in full agreement with Thomas Jefferson that
an elitist attitude toward education is intolerable, and
that open admissions is an important feature of many schools.
However, even he noted that any attempt to fund public schools
with taxes would turn them into propaganda camps.  I think
his innnovative land grant concept was a useful effort to
deter that progression toward evil.  It failed.

>Growing up with NASA and Army Missile Command in Huntsville, AL,
>with depression error parents to whom denying government was
>and still is denying god maybe worse, with each break that
>rationality demands I find that there is a deep and not so
>subtle conditioning that must be overcome.

Yes!  Your parents share something in common with mine: they
came to maturity during the Great Depression (well, I consider
anyone who has reached the stern age of 13 to be potentially
mature), and saw little prospect for advancement.  A great
many people fell into the error of thinking that their
government was helping them out of the economic difficulties
of the Depression, in no small part because some of the
programs did provide jobs, money, and relief in a time of
great turmoil.  It is probably just to blame the prior
generations for many of the difficulties we've inherited, but
it is largely pointless to assess blame.  Finding fault has
little to do with finding solutions.

*Pull the Plugs*

You have been conditioned.  That's why the film "The Matrix"
is such a delightfully clever allegory, as author L. Neil
Smith has been wont to point out.  People all over the world
are being used as batteries to power the monsters of local,
county, state, national, and world governments.  In a great
many cases, more than half of their wealth is being sucked
from them before they even realize it.  Withholding and other
banes are incredibly destructive to individual productivity,
wealth, and liberty.  That's why there has been such a huge
proliferation of tax havens and jurisdictions, and why the
use of online technologies affords so much hope to us all.

We can yank those metaphorical tubes from our spines and
awaken into a different reality, just as the characters in
"The Matrix" have done.  Doing so creates opportunities for
us to manipulate the system for our own benefit, but it also
involves us in some other difficulties.  The system into
which you've been indoctrinated, and in which you find yourself
immersed, has agents and agencies which seek to limit your
freedom.  They depend on keeping a huge number of people
tied into their system.

Your comment on Nixon is well-taken, although I would not
agree with canonizing him.  His tapes of private conversations,
his egregious excesses, and his behavior in the White House
were not any different from his predecessors.  Johnson and
Kennedy's excesses were as large or larger, and the offal
smell of corruption can be traced into the 1820s.  Nixon
did us all a service by being such a feckless crook, getting
caught repeatedly.

*Final Acts of Desperation*

What's being done in Afghanistan, and what is proposed for
Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, and the Philippines, among other places,
is very strong evidence of the desperation in government
circles.  I've heard insiders in that milieu speak of 2010
and 2019 as their internal forecasts for the date beyond
which they cannot conceive of holding control, based on
various models they use for such guesses.

Physicist Gerard K. O'Neill, who is a legend in the space
migration movement, said, shortly before his death, that
the rigid responses of government are a good sign.  He
noted the comparison to mechanical systems, in which a
system becomes most rigid just prior to failure; often it
flies apart moments after reaching its ultimate rigidity.

For my own part, I think the acceleration of the
out-of-control nature of these things is going to proceed much
faster than those in government realize, in no small part
because there are so many millions of people who can and
do effective computer coding, and so much potential for these
basic ideas to be copied and implemented in all sorts of
places, even off planet.  (I know of half a dozen serious
efforts to place web servers on the Moon, for example.)

*Out of Control Is Good*

At the Awdal Roads and Houston Space Society conference in
May (proceedings and videos available online at
http://www.awdal.com/shop ) Joseph Dale Robertson predicted
the demise of the Federal Reserve System.  Quoting extensively
from a book _Out of Control_ by an author whose name I forget,
Dale pointed out that the Federal Reserve is fighting a
distributed network of intelligent agents, which includes a
lot of the people reading this missive.  He demonstrated
effectively that they cannot hope to maintain control for
much longer.  It may well be that the current 11-in-a-row set
of interest rate cuts shows a substantial weakness in that
system. Certainly, the central bank in Japan has cut interest
rates to zero, and has not been able to move them up
significantly for many months.

Technology and economics are on our side.  Politics and
politicians won't ever be very favorable toward individual
liberty, but that's okay.  In many ways, they have made
such nuisances of themselves that they are now superfluous.
Sure, they can continue to harry individuals, and will do
so, but their era of control is ending.  And they know it.
Which is why government officials have been talking about
doing nothing more in Somalia than dropping daisy cutters
on suspected "terrorist" (or, perhaps, from the perspective
of those defending their homes, "freedom fighter") enclaves.
As they showed on 12 July 1993, the butchers in government
are capable of wiping out individuals on both a retail and
on a wholesale level, but doing so, as the events of 3
October 1993 prove, does not wipe out resistance.

Projecting force has become terribly expensive.  Defense
technologies are cheap and plentiful.  Economics benefits
a distributed system of exchange, and limits the ability
of those who seek control.  Ultimately, these factors are
going to overwhelm politics.

Best wishes to you in this holiday season, and my polite

Regards,

Jim
  http://www.GoldBarter.com/ --> a free market
  http://www.ezez.com/free/freejim.html --> a speaker on
  these ideas, and more, such a deal!

Permission is given to publication of this essay, or
excerpts from it, provided the author and his GoldBarter.com
link are included.  Otherwise, this essay is property of
Jim Davidson and copyright 2001 by him, except for the
quoted material of others.

http://www.e-gold.com/stats.html lets you observe the e-gold system's activity now!