>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I realize that Oil is not Gold, but I think everyone who has a
>business investment the dgc's should be aware of this analysis of the oil
>situation.
>  It will have direct bearing on the value of our gold holdings
>in the future,
 . . .
>Please read Jim Puplava's analysis: "Powershift - Oil, Money, & War TM"
> http://www.financialsense.com/series3/part1.htm

----------------------

Iteresting stuff. I've seen various analyses along these lines before,
and they have their strong points of validity. I actually was involved
in the presentation/instruction of a basic physics class, that discussed
energy & environmental issues, etc. . . that briefly discussed the work
of Dr. M. King Hubbert.

As an engineer, and as a society with our current level of technical
prowess -- hydrocarbons are a pretty silly source of energy; valid only
for limited use. Hydrocarbons are much more valuable as chemical
ingredients &/or catalysts in the production of materials.

There are a multitude of viable, (even better than reliance on
hydrocarbons) energy production & distribution options available to a
technological culture such as that of the U.S. ; but that's another story.

However, as we all know, common sense plays little role in most  human
affairs -- especially when nation-to-nation relations are in question.
The argument of better energy sources aside, and assuming we continue to
heavily rely on fossil fuels for the next 3 to 10 decades; the supply
senario of fossil fuels is not quite as bleak as presented in the Power
Shift article referenced above. What the article above should give a
hint about, to the informed and thinking reader,  is that investment &
opportunity in the hydrocarbon industries will be shifting around.

Here's why:
    1.) Oil Sands: It is estimated that oil-sand deposits contain enough
crude oil to meet world demand for the next several hundred years, and
that's just the known deposits. Canada has one of the world's largest,
and easily accessable oil sand deposits in the world. And due to
technical advances, extraction cost of crude, from oil sands has dropped
from around $30 to $50 per barrel (depending on deposit quality) to
around $9 per barrel of crude. There are also significant natural gas
deposits associated with oil sands as well.

    2.) Oil Shale: World deposits could meet world demand for crude
several times over for the next hundred years or two. Colorado, and many
other areas in the U.S. & Canada have abundant, high quality deposits --
not to mention other areas of the world. Extraction costs are still
pretty high for oil shales, but much less than they were 20 years ago,
and technical advances continue to improve the state of the art and its
cost effectiveness.

    3.)Best of all --  It turns out that crude oil is actually a
renewable resource. A recent, accidental discovery has revealed that
crude oils are a natural waste product of certain types of anerobic
bactiria (conversely there are many specie of naturally occuring
bacteria that consume hydrocarbon products -- be they from geological
deposits, other bacteria, or other wise). What happened is that some
biologist was tramping around a salt mash and noticed some oily scum.
Thinking there was an oil leak, or spill someplace messing up his
beautiful marsh; he took a sample for anaylsys, and set about making
inquiries as to possible spills &/or leaks. His anaylsis of the sample,
and further tests & culturing of muck from the marsh revealed that the
oil was naturally occuring and was produced by several specie of
anerobic bacteria. Proper culturing and enhancement of these bacteria in
a production environment would give us all the crude oil we ever need,
and for a tiny fraction of the cost that is currently necessary.

I could go on and on for many pages about developments in the
hydrocarbon industries that make alot of the talk of scarcity and
political posturing a bunch a phooey (not to mention the even cooler
stuff, that is actually more important, in other industries). The real
issue is to appreciate the creativity, and power of a free human mind
and look for the opportunities that such present. It's time to stop
investing in buggy whips!

PECB
a + ar + ar^2 + ... + ar^(k-1) + ...
http://www.two-cents-worth.com/?pecb