>And if you look a some other charting services,
it is not a gap at all, but rather a rapid but steady
series of increments upward.
<http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=FOREX_XAUUSDO&v=i>http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=FOREX_XAUUSDO&v=i

Dave, not correct my friend!

The market definitely, definitely opened up a gap this morning (a
huge one!), indeed there is still a gap although its slowly closing,
and will close within the next few days.

You can see it clearly here --

http://itsallinthecharts.com/sub/gaptoday.jpg

Note that

(i) the world's gold market is set and priced by the futures market,
the spot market means little.

(ii) the future's market runs from 8.20 am until 1.30 pm in NYC, NYC time

(iii) as you say, in fact, there's no such thing as a "gap" in the
spot prices.  it is meanginless, the spot price is traded
continuously (24 hrs a day), so it can't "gap".  Saying the spot
priced "gapped" would be like saying "I forgot to use the clutch on
my automatic transmission".   To "gap" aka "gap open" means that in a
market which trades from 9am until 5pm (say), then opening price at
9am is significantly different from the closing price the previous
day at 5pm.  ie the term refers to the opening price in a market that
does, in fact, open!  markets that trade 24 hrs a day cant "gap
open", indeed they cant "open" !

(iv) so when someone says the price has gapped up or down, they are
inherently referring to the futures price (I suppose in a general
abstract way you could talk about a 24 hr market "gapping", which
would just be an analogy for "moved quickly", but it has nothing to
do with "gapping open" as 24 hr markets, like say emini markets,
never open or close)

BTW

>  Be prepared for loss selling by the bullion banks and
their cronies in a attempt to force the price back
below $305.

You know, ANY market traded by humans, will force back a gap.

It is universal, a universal of market psychology.  In practice every
single traded commodity will close a gap like that (9 times out of
ten).  It's not really the "bullion banks" that are relevant in such
a pressue, it's the pros and pit traders that will simply pull the
price back to close the gap down to 306.10 on the gc2m

IMHO the sort of thing you a referring to - "GATA - like" forces
driving the price down - applies in much broader aspects of the gold
market.

The gap open this morning, the pros in the pits will easily close, to
(a) force out all the amateurs who made money on the futures contract
and (b) cancel any loss any of them made due to the gap.  That would
happen in any futures pit!

(indeed vast numbers of commodities traders are nothing other than
"gap traders", the sole trading strategy they employ is based on the
notion that certain gaps usually close.)

JP!