Adam,

> Could someone please explain it to me why it is so expensive to
purchase
> e-gold and it is so inexpensive to sell it?

It is a spread that has to be considered as one. If you look at e-gold
as a currency, the spread is probably around 3-4% which is the same you
would expect to pay retail if you were changing between any major
currency - for example US dollars to Canadian dollars.

> If I were in the business of trying to get e-currency accepted by the
> masses, then I would definitely try to minimize the cost of purchasing
it.

The problem is that nobody is really in that business... e-gold are the
ones who stand to benefit most from increased usage, and they seem to do
precisely nothing in terms of trying to promote usage.

> Let face it, the cost of purchasing is prohibitive, and the cost of
> selling
> is actually negative, some exchanges even offer a bonus of 1%.  This
is
> counter productive and it actually encourages a diminishing amount of
e-
> gold
> in the system.

No, it does not diminsh the amount of e-gold in the system. It is just
changing hands. Obviously if a market maker can buy at 1% from the
public or at 4% (for example) from Omnipay then they would rather pay
the 1% premium. This is good in that it encourages liquidity.

Regards
Nick
Fidex