At 10:59 AM 25/05/2002 -0700, Ragnar wrote:
>If John Smith buys a bar of Gold in e-gold or any other 100%
>gold currency, then his account is backed by 100% gold.  If I
>come along and purchase $15 worth of e-gold.  What, then, is my
>holding backed by?
>
>Does e-gold buy $15 worth of gold dust or a gold coin on my
>behalf and put it in the vault?  Or does the e-gold system
>actually contain (when audited) 1 bar of gold, plus $15 fiat
>currency?  I think it is the latter.

Of course it is not the latter (nor the former). Who did you buy the $15
worth of e-gold from? Someone who already owned e-gold.

The amount of e-gold does not exceed the amount of physical gold in the
vaults. Your $15 purchase did not increase the amount of e-gold nor the
amount of gold in the system.

Regarding your later question, e-gold do buy in advance of demand. I think
there was an occasion when they had to sell a bar or more (when there was a
run on gold and someone (possibly G&SR) must have bailed out some of their
gold), but there is always more than 100 percent backing, and usually an
increasing amount of gold in the system.

To be *saving up* for 100 percent backing (like some ether-backed wanna-be
gold-backed currency) would be in fact NOT being 100 percent backed by
gold. It's not e-gold's policy. Indeed, they even state that they do not
have a bank account, only precious metals! Presumably G&SR have a bank
account, but that is a different matter.

Ian Green
http://two-cents-worth.com/?107242&EG
www.107242.clicktwocents.com
e-gold estas monda mono! [Esperanto]