Ragnar et al,

I think the easies way to open a bank account in Canada and Australia
would be to use HSBC. I believe it has branches in both countries, as
well as branches in many other countries.

Bank of Montreal owns Harris Banks in the USA (or vice versa) which
should facilitate opening an account in Canada. Harris Banks can be
reached at:

http://www.harrisbank.com

Several Canadian Banks have international branches that may (or may not)
be able to offer assistance. The following links may be of assistance:

http://www.royalbank.com
http://www.bmo.com
http://www.cibc.com

I hope that helps.