On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, uberhacker wrote:
> Perhaps an alias would be more like an Australian domain name, where you
> can't get a .com.au domain name unless you have a business with the same
> name or an acceptable variant, or if it's your name. For a cost (since an
> employee would have to do due diligence, and people cost money) a person or
> company might file an application for an alias, and that way you can
> minimize all the similar kinds of issues that the US has to cope with when
> it comes to domain registration.
>
> Comments?

Yes, that's almost exactly what I meant. Basically they are a tool for
helping people locate account numbers.

And yes, all your points are valid. As a registrar under .COM/.NET/.ORG
as well as a CIRA certified .CA registrar (as a matter of fact I sit
on the Board of CIRA for the next three years), I see a constant battle
between the "wide open" model in .CNO (com/net/org) and the "thick
registry" model of CIRA's (where they actually go through every
registration and verify the accuracy of the information in each
domain record).

I'm one of the few who prefers the .CA model, but under the circumstances
that we are talking about, you would have to do it that way, I don't
want anybody else getting the "easyDNS" egold account alias, except us.

Although since we're sitting here crafting utopian domain models, our
imaginary DGC DNS system has a much better dispute resolution process
that both ICANN and CIRA.

-mark