(Well, for them, at least...)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17317-2002Sep28.html

"Sovereign bankruptcy" -- or the Royal FOUL-Up (that's for
JP!). This article is more evidence (if more were needed!)
that governments don't belong in the money-issuing business,
but I doubt the author knows it. Twenty years ago, no editor
would have let him write this without mentioning gold

The US secretary of the Treasury says his goal is to change
the system "so that human beings not be the victims of our
ignorance or stupidity." I've found ignorance and stupidity
to be expensive whenever I try them, but I wish him luck!
JMR