At 04:04 PM 30/09/2002 -0700, Ben Legume wrote:
>the answer was simply that when I
>applied for the card in question I changed my DOB. Middle names are
>another good one to alter at will, add or omit.

I always omit my middle name wherever possible and avoid mentioning my
mother's maiden name or my date of birth. (Although Australian government
and financial institutions have the correct information.)

It is quite alarming that many organisations will proceed with some data
changing (service-denying or cost incurring) event on the basis of being
able to state a full name and date of birth, all of which may be discovered
by any ill-intentioned person. Other organisations appear willing to
proceed with anyone able to state a mother's maiden name, which may be
equally discoverable depending on how well your background has been
documented on the Internet, or on how much your private data has already
been compromised by agencies and companies (eg. financial organisations)

Ian Green
http://iangreen.2cw.org/
http://ao.com.au/e-gold.htm