Dear James,

Your comments do seem a bit self-serving, but as the song says:

  You can't please everyone, so
  Ya got to please yourself.

I have no doubt that your comments are useful as well as quite
self-serving.  There seems to be a synergy there.

Perusing the documents again more closely, it may be that you are
correct and the previous audit which I can access readily was not
an audit as such.  It has been a long while that I've had one or
more e-gold accounts, and it seems to me there were other audit
documents in the 1998 to 2001 timeframe, but I would have to hunt
through a bunch of old data archives in the event I have one of
these.  As there is no current audit of e-gold, and as that sort
of current audit is what I seek along with others, there is not
much reason to hunt for the old stuff.

As far as how much e-currency has been issued by the e-gold
system, there is an e-gold examiner page, and related pages,
which seem to indicate this figure on a regular basis.  I am
aware that these pages post the representations of management,
and are not an audit of those representations.  Again, I would
also like to see those figures audited.

The fact that e-gold has gold, and that nobody doubts it, not even
you, one of their primary competitors, suggests that e-gold is a
different class of thing than OSGold.  I think that's important
in and of itself.  Due diligence on e-gold remains to be completed,
but there is plenty of evidence that they have gold.  There was
never any evidence at all that OSGold had even a tiny amount of
gold for which its currency might be redeemed.

E-gold may in fact not be gold circulated electronically.  It does
appear that it is an electronic warehouse receipt, or a digital
warehouse receipt currency.  However, in spite of the vehement
insistence that GoldMoney is gold circulated electronically, a
number of participants on these lists, notably Craig Spencer, say
that your system is also a warehouse receipt system.  The one
calling itself major or colonel bosco has suggested that it is
noteworthy that your system requires a person to own 400 ounces,
even though other bar sizes are in regular use worldwide, in order
to obtain redemption of gold directly to the user.  To the extent
that redemption of gold is possible from e-gold, that same standard
applies.

Clearly, e-gold is motivated to differentiate its approach and its
technology from GoldMoney's approach and technology.  That is no
surprise, given the patent litigation that looms.  I suspect that
there are more than one way to skin a cat.

If, on the one hand, Barry Downey is mistaken in his sworn affidavit,
and e-gold is just like GoldMoney, then your patent dispute has
merit.  If, on the other hand, Downey is correct, your patent dispute
would seem to fall by the wayside.  In this second case, the matter
of e-gold having a third party auditor perform an actual audit is
important to those of us who are buying and selling it all the time.

Let me reiterate, I've always wanted an audit of e-gold.  I've gone
to considerable trouble to prompt an audit.  I've even looked into
the matter of hiring a third party auditor to conduct such an audit
independent of e-gold.  (This matter proves to be quite difficult
and expensive.  No third party auditor has yet indicated that it is
possible, but each one that I've inquired with has indicated a very
high fee just to find out if such an audit were possible. Zounds.)

The ownership of the gold would appear to be relevant, but not the
only relevant thing.  Yes, I am willing to suppose that I own the
gold represented in my GoldMoney holding.  I am also willing to
accept that I don't own the gold in my e-gold account.  The matter
of an audit is pretty important in either case, so based solely on
this issue, I would rather hold GoldMoney than e-gold.

However, the matter of redemption also figures prominently in my
choices.  I happen to find the customer service at e-Bullion to be
par excellence, and the fact that I can redeem any size of bullion
from them seems to be a significant improvement.  So, on the whole,
I'd rather hold e-Bullion.  The market seems to agree, since
e-Bullion is the second largest and appears to be the fastest
growing online gold currency.

Let's say that you are correct and that e-gold is really a promise to
pay gold.  How does that affect the end user?  Provided that there
are ounces of gold to match all the promises outstanding, it does not
have any affect on the end user at all.  It is just another way of
skinning the cat.  The cat might complain, but the job gets done.
(I've never really understood this idiom: who wants to have a cat
without its pelt?  Given my mild allergy to cat saliva, I sure don't
want the cat's pelt, either.  At least when attached to the cat, it
can be involved in the catching of rodents.)

As far as sarcastic versions of e-gold's slogan, I think I came up
with a few of those myself.  Which is part of the joy of doing business.
If we can't laugh at e-gold, at whom should we laugh?  Slogans are one
thing; material representations are another.  Again, provided that
there are ounces of gold sufficient for the redemption of all of
e-gold's obligations, I don't see how the end user is affected.  So
far, I have had no difficulty redeeming e-gold when I wanted it.

Truly, that isn't good enough.  I want to see a third party audit of
e-gold.  Last I heard, it is the official position of e-gold and
OmniPay that such an audit is in the works.

I agree that the issue of whether e-gold, GoldMoney, 1MDC, or
e-Bullion are 100% reserve systems, or fractional reserve systems is
of significance, no matter what their business model might be.  I
am satisfied that GoldMoney and e-Bullion are 100% reserve systems.
I'm pretty sure e-gold is, too.  There is some evidence to that
effect for 1MDC.

One thing that I do think is most excellent is that, so far, we
have a free market system.  The sellers of gold currencies are
in competition, and keep each other honest.  The buyers are also
in competition, and do the same.  Exchange providers are also in
competition, and have similar functions.

One day soon, I expect all this competition will be swept away
by the perverse dictates of one or more governments.  Then we'll
have much more trouble.

Regards,

Jim
 http://cambist.net/

Use e-gold's Secure Randomized Keyboard (SRK) when accessing your e-gold account(s) via the web and shopping cart interfaces to help thwart keystroke loggers and common viruses.