Furthermore, my tests more and more suggest that it is more likely to happen on LARGE (over 2 or 3 kilos) spends. That suggests all sorts of horrible things.

If you're trying to spend 5 kilos of gold to a supplier, client or whatever you don't wanna really keep the person waiting because of egolds BS
It suggests that e-gold may be enforcing security or operations policies which interject manual intervention under certain circumstances.

bingo.

Perhaps its due to security flaws which hackers or others have uncovered. Perhaps they are profiling their customers for law enforcement purposes. Perhaps other more innocuous reasons.

steve
I actually couldn't care less about feds sitting there reviewing spends -- they should just fix it so there's NO DELAY for goodness sake!

Gives me the willies!!!!