At 12:03 PM +0200 6/5/03, Fidex Marketing wrote:
>I think the culprit is the list archive which is open to
>address-harvesting bots.

The archive is useful, and one of the things I refuse to do
about spam is give up useful things if that can be avoided,
since doing that lets the spammers win. Obviously, they
know they're annoying and not real business, but they're
not going away. I've had liberty at gate.net since 1992, so
believe me, I get ALL spam.

>Can something be done about it?

Well, probably not what you want. This list has hundreds of
subscribers, any of them can make his own archive, and
make it publicly-accessible or just directly-sell emails off it,
since they ignore the list charter. At least one spammer is
a subscriber, and spammers tend to cooperate...

On the other hand, I think stats.e-gold.com is daily-proof
that e-gold is the first and only effective thing EVER to have
been done about Spam -- whether or not the news media,
"CAUCE.org," etc. will ever bother to notice or care! Randy
Wilhite's post yesterday about "INSTANTPaid2Read.com"
is only the latest example of how e-gold has been quietly
in the forefront of the *actual* fight against spam; so 100K
spends yesterday wasn't just good news for e-gold, it was
good news for the 'net.  IMNSHO.
JMR