> Is there really a need for list archives here?
>
> Does it serve any purpose, other than providing the address-harvesting
> bots with
> what must look almost like a real 'goldmine' in their eyes?
>
> Why not turn these archives OFF ,and delete them?

I must say I have never looked at the archives and can't see much use in
having them... I do appreciate and understand that certain parties may
find them useful and if they are there for the common good I am prepared
to accept the resultant spam. But I would like to know if they are
actually so useful... does anyone actually use the archives?

Maybe JMR could archive them privately and only dig out messages on
request? If there was a dispute about what was said for example...

Or maybe there is some way of archiving messages while automatically
deleting or shortening the poster's email address?

Sure anybody *could* choose to arichive the messages but whether they do
so is another matter. I doubt it.

Best
Nick