Mr. Ray:

I am one of the founders of LibertyForum.org, which is currently the
largest web-based libertarian discussion site on the net.  We are
currently logging anywhere between 2,500 and 3,000 individual posts from
members every day (these are actual posts, not just hits).  I've been
reading this list off and on for a few months, and happened upon this
message.  I thought I would respond to parts of it since I may be able to
add something to the discussion.

> Anyway, I think that it was 1999. Also, Free-Market.net is
> taking their forum (which was finally taken-over-totally
> by the scammers) offline. Originally, they also hosted this
> email list, and the early parts of their forum were fun

Free-Market.net is now a LibertyForum partner and we are working with them
to move all their forums to LibertyForum.  They moved their primary forum
over a few months ago, and will be moving their secondary forums over when
they have the opportunity.  Their forums can be found at:

http://www.libertyforum.org/wwwthreads.php?Cat=5

> I still want there to be a moderated forum where the
> mod-points are bought using e-gold.
>
> I wish Slashdot would get the clue their readers have
> regarding payment-systems, but IMO internal editorial
> politics probably preclude a rational decision on the
> subject -- at least for a few more years.
> JMR

We have been discussing the possibility of doing something just like you
suggest, making moderation something that counts.  We use a moderation
system that is based on the Slashdot system and are currently looking for
ideas on upcoming improvements.

Together with a new moderation system, we will also be inaugurating a new
Original Content section.  We have a number of talented writers among our
members and will be featuring their work after it has gone through a
fairly stringent editorial process.  I have been considering the
possibility of implementing a system of micro-payments, whereby these
authors can receive contributions via e-gold, should people find their
work worthwhile.

There are a variety of other ideas we are working on, not the least of
which is the creation of an actual economy within our growing community
(of which the moderation system might be a start).  I would be very
interested in chatting with you or any other list members regarding any
ideas you may have that may help us to implement some of these concepts.

At the very least I hope you will drop by and perhaps take some time to
educate our users.  We have a topic dedicated to e-currency
(http://www.libertyforum.org/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=e_currency), but
would be happy to set up any mechanism that might be helpful in increasing
our member's knowledge of digital currencies.

Best regards,

John Deere