Hi Ragnar,

I've never heard of a prohibition against non-US investors. I used to
have a Datek account, since taken over by Ameritrade. All I had to do
(several years ago) was to complete a form (W8, I think) in which I
declared I was not American and therefore not subject to USA income tax
requirements, and I had to wire USD$2,000 to start the account.

He should have no problem, except maybe that they (Ameritrade) probably
refuse to accept "third party" payments (of some kinds) into the
account. Of course, there may be new restrictions I am unaware of. I no
longer have an account, but only because they instigated inactivity
fees.

Regards,
Ian Green
http://iangreen.2cw.org