I actually enjoy the objections of both Patrick and Frank because they are
contructive and make sense.

Here we go: Patrick, if you lend someone a piece of gold and get the piece
bank plus a smaller one, you won't be hauled to prison - BUT - might be
forced to donate the smaller piece to a charity fund.
What two adults do among themselves is up to them, unless one of them gets
something for nothing. The charging of interest is forbidden in so far
that someone gets something for nothing.
Now, if the guy comes to you to get one piece of gold in order to buy
something and sell it a profit and you participate in the profit, that is
perfectly fine. You shared the risk, hence you are entitled to share in
the profit. How much of the profit you get is a matter of negotiation
between the two of you. If you however charged him interest, did not share
the risk and got something for nothing, then you loose the something extra
you got.

Frank, by not allowing people to get themselves into debt the system
actually forces freedom on them. Think about it for a minute. Our
perceived freedom is unreal when we are forced to pay the governments'
interest through indirect taxes and inflation. Our right to choose
interest bondage is not impaired by the abolishment of interest. Instead
the right to accept people into bondage through lending them money at an
interest is curtailed. Your ex-wifes are welcome to try to sell themselves
into bondage, that's their free choice. The one who accepts them, though,
will be punished. If you are offering money at interest to the public,
then in most countries you need a license - which you are very unlikely to
be able to get as a private individual with very limited means. BUT
lending third parties your money against interest without a license is
illegal in this day and age in most countries. The law is seldom enfoced,
but it's still there. And if you lend too much to too many people the gov
will try to get you on money laundring and racketeering charges. Again,
this is what is happening today.
By abolishing interest however, we do not abolish the profit motive nor do
we abolish lawful gaining from investments.

You started out by mentioning the value of the time factor. There is no
reason why you should not charge something for your time and service, an
administration fee or service charge if you will. But that one must be
independent from the amount of the 'investment' and should be calulated
based on the time and effort you put in.
As you see, you would get to levy those charges because you did something
for it.

If you are willing to invest into the promise of an ex-wife to pay you
back for buying her a new wardrobe, then that could entitle you to charge
a risk fee. But you can't charge fees on fees and by charging a risk fee
you would invite your ex to simply spend the gold and never pay you back.

The crux of the matter is indeed that interest accrues interest and that
someone gets something without doing anything for it.
It might come as a surprise to many Americans on the list, but most non-US
holders of credit cards actually balance their accounts at the end of each
month, many actually have positive balances on their cards.

>From this I deduct that having debts is not considered natural per se.
Indeed, when asking some people why they didn't use their cards when they
were short of cash at the end of the month, I got people saying that they
would never use the credit facilities of the card because of the fees and
interest. IMHO this is the way any adult human should think about it, but
many succumb to the lure of instant ownership and worry about paying
later.
Then they often end up loosing owenership and being saddled with debt.

Well, and it is you and me who are paying their debt and interest if they
don't. It is you as a share holder and me as a tax payer, who suffers from
people not paying back their loans and interest. You get less dividedn
because the bank you hold shares in made less profit. And I pay more tax
because the bank offset the loss against taxes. And everyone else pays
higher interest to help the bank to cover the risk of the non performing
loans. Hence the freedom of your ex's to sell herself into interest
bondage costs ME, YOU and EVERYONE ELSE. And we get nothing in return.

If your ex had no way to borrow, we would all be better off. If it was
illegal to profit from lending her money, then nobody would give her any.

And that is what I am arguning for. I am not saying that it should be
impossible for people to obtain funding for worthwhile causes. I am saying
that the one who gives them funding should participate in the profits and
share the risk.

You want to buy a car but don't have the money? No problem, I buy it and
rent it to you. Lease-back, if you will. I have next to no risk, because
the car is mine. You get to use the car as if it was your own and will
look after it because you expect to buy it off me as soon as you have the
cash. In the meantime you are paying rent to cover for the depreciation.

Need a new home entertainment center? Which one do you want me to buy?
Want an expensive holiday or a perfume for a chick? Bugger off and get
back to work ;o)

Cheers,
Robert.

budget & privacy website hosting