At 12:39 PM 10/15/03 +0300, FileMatrix wrote:
I support a general tax because it makes things more homegenous, as in,
everybody pay less, globally.

But everybody does NOT pay less. The bottom line of solving human problems through coercion is more expensive and less effective solutions - if the problems are solved at all, and more problems caused on top of the ones that are being so poorly solved.

 Sure, the rich pay more than the poor. At this
point I have to say I would gladly pay 5 - 10% of (say) my $10 millions a
year income to see that the society in its whole is a little better.

You don't have that choice. The problem with taxes is that they are coercive. And "society in its whole" is not better.

 Profit
is not what drives my life! Either I pay, from my money, localy to support
road building, or I pay to the "center" its the same thing - I still pay.

It's not the same thing. One is coercive and one is not.

You say you're not forced to pay localy. Yes you are! Otherwise you wouldn't
be allowed to use those roads.

That's not coercion, that's exchanging value for value.

Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire Wayne:
http://hirewayne.com