Firstly sorry for any topic violations, I will just post a breif response to
the questions asked.

> > Japan has, in the last 15 years, clocked up an outstanding public debt
of
> about 150% of a year's GDP, which is over twice that of the USA. And it
made
> things worse, not better! New Zealand has been running a large surplus of
> about 3-4% GDP for the last few years but the economy keeps doing well.
> Germany and France are following Japan and getting the same results.

> So, how does New Zealand do it?
> George Hara

New Zealand is generally rated as being the third most free market
economy, after Hong Kong and Sinapore, after extensive market
liberalisation 1984-1988 (Fourth Labour governemnt), and 1990-1992 (Fourth
National Government). This included elimination of capital controls,
removal of the wage-price-interest rate-rent freeze, elimination of quotas
and import licencing, progressive unilateral tarrif elimination,
corporatisation and privatisation of state trading departments (coal, oil
and gas, rail, postal services, state banks, public works, airports,
airlines, ports, electricity (generation, transmission and distribution),
and the rest), product market deregulation, agricultural and business
subsidy elimination (1984), tax reform including reducing the top tax rate
from 66% to 33% (almost was reduced to 23% in 1988, but the Prime Minister
backed out of the plan), elimination of the wholesale sales taxes,
elimination of all stamp duties (including on land transfer in 1998), labour
market deregulation (1991 'the method of negotiation is up for
negotiation'), fiscal reform including the State Sector Act (a model state
sector structure and reform recently promoted by its architect Sir Roger
Douglas to the UK -- a must read report actually), Fiscal Responsibility
Act (which resulted in surpluses since 1993 to the present, and the
repayment of the public debt) and various other market liberalisation
programs, including welfare benefit reductions in 1991.

That is the primary reason for the overall good results, especially
compared to the 1960-1984 period.

The particular reason why the economy has been strong and surpluses very
large in the last few years has been: needless tax hikes that increased
the top tax rate to 39%, some cancelled defence spending and lack of
participation in the war on terrorism, freezing of the unilateral
progressive elimination program with a freeze in tariff rates until 2005,
and a program to partially prefund the 'National Superannuation' by
accumulating large surpluses in a dedicated fund, and resisting calls from
the opposition to cut the top tax rate to 25% (and calls from its own tax
reform commission, which recommended a top rate of 28% and a bottom rate
of 18% only because the government specifically told them not to consider
a flat rate of tax). Also general public spending has been falling as a
percentage of GDP while brack creep pushes tax payers into higher
brackets, and a property construction boom. And many expats returned home
after 11/9/2001, and increased immigration and arrival of refugees.

David Hillary