Hello Everyone,

We actually have a system in which we rebill on behalf of several clients
(factoring, for lack of a better word?) by email.

The sytem is pretty simple, so I'm not sure if what you are talking about
is really needed. Our clients submit the email address, billing details,
billing cycle, and amounts, as well as payment options of their
customers/subscribers.

Our sytem generates an email that includes SCIbot URL, a credit card
payment URL (and of course a CF$ CashDirect transfer request), addresses
it to the client by name if available, includes the details the invoice is
for, sends it 3 days before expiry/due and again on expiry/due date, and
(optional) traces to where the bill is being delivered to, when its being
read and by whom and reports back the results.
> > The problem with this is that it is not secure to log in from an emailed
> > link.
>
> True, you'd want your customers to already be expecting an
> email from you with the link at that time of the subscription
> period.
I don't think that is such a problem - at least in our experience
customers click anyway if they know where the bill is from and what it is
for.
If it does become a concern in future, then we can modify the system to
spawn a pop-under directly to the payment page and add instructions to the
invoice text that tells customers that page has just opened in their
browser.

> Sounds interesting. The only potential problem I can foresee
> would be aiding the creation of a horrible new form of spam
> that's internal to the payment system to go along with all the
> external spam we see via email (but maybe if it cost a bit to
> submit the invoice, payable to the proposed payee??).

I think the only benefit in using the e-gold internal system to send
payment requests would be if e-gold allowed automatic rebilling, which it
doesn't and I believe it shouldn't. As far as I can see James is spot-on
with his assumption that the type of operations who use automatic
re-charging are often hoping that the client forgets what he is paying for
and is just too lazy or busy to cancel the recharge order. That is not
exactly the type of practice that would benefit the reputation of e-gold
as a whole, is it ;o)

Cheers,
Robert.

budget & privacy website hosting