> True, you'd want your customers to already be expecting an
> email from you with the link at that time of the subscription
> period.

If it is fundamentally insecure and risky why try and modify the
implimentation to make it secure? The whole idea of this topic is that the
secure account functionality be extended to invoicing as well as payer
initiated payments. Incoming payment control functionality would also help
merchants to prevent incoming payments they cannot easily link with a
customer identity and/or order number.

> Sounds interesting. The only potential problem I can foresee
> would be aiding the creation of a horrible new form of spam
> that's internal to the payment system to go along with all the
> external spam we see via email (but maybe if it cost a bit to
> submit the invoice, payable to the proposed payee??).
> JMR

Account holders should have incoming invoice control functionality to
regulate and authenticate invoices. The simplest way to do this would be to
allow receipt of invoices only from an approved billers list, established by
the account holder.

Essential information for a valid invoice would be: (approved) Payee,
Amount, Invoice Number, and Due Date. Optional information would include
order number and a description or purpose.  Ideally, the biller should be
able to send full invoice details in the form of a pdf file, for the account
holder to view, download, save and print as desired.

Invoicing functionality does introduce some possible complexity, but I think
that it would be worthwhile considering the following invoice related
functionality:
1. Recall or Cancel incorrect invoices and replacement with a corrected
invoice if required. This process must be controlled by the invoicer -- the
payee can contact the payer if he finds a problem/has a problem, and this
rule would prevent the payment system being a forum for dispute. Note that
recalled or cancelled invoices must be incapable of being read and/or paid
respectively.
2. Future dated payments, so that payers can pay invoices on their due date.
For guaranteed  payment processing account funds could be allocated against
such invoices and unavailable for other payments, or payments would be
contingent on available funds.
3. Activity notification, e.g. generate email/SMS notification on invoice
arrival, invoice due in x days etc. (to be controlled by payee).
4. Invoice tracking. Invoices lifecycle could be tracked as follows, with
Condition= (Unpaid, Paid) and Status= (Recalled, Unread, Unapproved,
Approved Unfunded, Approved Funded, Overdue, Rejected, Cancelled). (To
qualify as approved, a payment must be booked for payment on or before the
due date.)
5. Receipts and Notifications. The payer should be able to have the option
of sending a 'Read' receipt, a 'Rejection Notice', 'Approved Unfunded
Notice' and/or 'Approved Funded Notice.'
6. Conditional pre-approval. Payees could set up billers that they would pay
invoices from automatically, subject to available funds, and other
conditions (e.g. not to exceed x, order number = 123, due date =y etc.)

I suggest that invoices be charged a fixed fee for each time the invoice is
sent, e.g. 0.1g, charged at the time that the invoice is sent.  This fee
would be charged again for a cancel-reinvoice, and should not be refunded
for recalls of cancellations.

David Hillary