At 4:09 PM -0500 11/17/03, Patrick Chkoreff wrote:
>Jim, do you know if e-gold will ever again commission an audit?

I don't speak for e-gold or make their decisions about how and
where to spend money. Sometimes, that's a particularly-good
thing for e-gold Ltd. and e-gold users. Allow me to explain:

I used to be "for" audits, as a priority. Now, I just think it'd be
a nice thing. Back when I used to be "for" it, I even found a firm
that seemed *particularly* anxious to deal, and willing to finally-
get a clue. I really wanted them to figure out a way to make an
audit that would (for a moment!) satisfy everyone. That firm's
name??? Well, um, it _WAS_ called Arthur Andersen...

Now I say that I trust stats & examiner (and Jay & Doug) more
than I trust any accounting firm. If a "perfect" audit happened
tomorrow morning, and then tomorrow night Doug told me
something was wrong with the quantity of gold in storage, or
Jay told me something was wrong on the computer-end (to
be meaningful, any audit would have to include the physical
stuff AND the database!) I would believe Doug and Jay and
disbelieve the gigantic accounting firm. That's just me, but
I have become convinced that money could be better-spent
elsewhere, and I reiterate my old (but still valid!) point that
accounting firms are going to have to account for drastically-
lower reputation capital with lower prices. They haven't so
far, which means more of 'em need to go out of business,
IMO.

>Also, is the old audit still on the site somewhere?

I've already revealed enough history today. Suffice it to say
that issue is one of the reasons I'm looking for accountant-
jokes now like I used to look for lawyer-jokes in the '80s.
JMR