I wanted to send you an update.  (Yes, I'm still working the problem).

At first I thought there was some issue with the VF not getting broadcast
packets from the PF because it never saw the ARPs from the PF.  However, I set
up a pktgen test and I'm able to send both directed and broadcast packets from
the PF to the VF and the VF receives them all.  It is specifically the ARP
packets that the VF is not seeing.  Since it never sees ARPs from the PF no
communication can be established.

I recall (I think) that you manually set an ARP entry for the VF but the VF
still didn't receive packets, so there must be something else going on.  (Or my
memory is incorrect).

Anyway, still digging and eliminating possibilities.  Once I've eliminated all
the possible causes then hopefully I'll be left with a solution.  We'll see.
It's quite a mystery.

- Greg