| From: Stefan Assmann <sassm...@redhat.com>
| Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 01:53 am
|
| This is not a udev bug since udev doesn't create persistent rules for
| VFs as their MAC address changes every reboot.
|
| To avoid this problem we could change the kernel name for the VFs and
| thus avoid confusion between VFs and PFs.
|
| I've already discussed this with Alexander Duyck and Greg Rose, so far
| they have no objection. However this problem appears for all drivers that
| support PFs and VFs and thus the changes should be applied consistently
| to all of these drivers.

  I'm not sure that this problem affects "all drivers which support PFs and
VFs."
I think that you might mean "all drivers which support PFs and VFs with non-
persistent MAC addresses for the VFs."  For instance, the MAC addresses
associated with the new cxgb4vf VFs are persistent so, from what I understand
of
the scenario you outlined, I don't think that they would trigger the problem
you
describe.  Please correct me if I've missed something.  Thanks.

Casey