The ROPE bits should not be set for any of the VFs and only on the PF when it
is in promiscuous mode.

The PFUTA bits are imperfect MAC address hash filters.  By setting them all to
ones and then turning on the ROPE bit for each of the VFs you're essentially
putting the VF into a sort of fake promiscuous mode.

This is not recommended.  Older drivers that did this had a bug in them.

- Greg